Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Wild caught and injured

My mom's boyfriend picked up a baby garter by the tail in our front garden. It did the "helicopter" thing and broke the end of it's tail off. It isn't bleeding, but the poor thing appears to be in pretty rough shape already. I think it's dehydrated and hungry, it's in a standard hospital set-up, so it does have water if it wants. Should I feed it now, or wait until the stress wears off a bit? I don't want to risk a regurgitation. It's scales are rough and lifting, with some patches that look like injuries, though I can't tell if they're new or old. It's extremely docile, which I'm sure has more to do with terror than temperament. I have no experience with wild caught or garters, and I'd really appreciate any help you can give me. I'll post some pics once it's had a bit of a chance to adjust to the new settings. Thanks!

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Re: Wild caught and injured

I would wait 2-3 days before feeding him so he can adjust to his new setting. Any updates on him?

Photos would be great to get a look at the scale situation. A water dish on paper towels and a hide are a pretty basic setup.
    What makes you think it is dehydrated? Where are you located(State)?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

It seems to settling in well. It's very inquisitive, coming out of the hide often to take a look around. It's still not showing any signs of aggression. The scales and tail don't seem to be getting any worse, I've been regularly applying Polysporin to any areas that look like injuries. Non of them are bleeding, producing pus, or increasing in size, from what I can see. I think it was dehydrated because the skin was EXTREMELY loose and dry, it's looking much better now that it's had access to water. I can't get it to eat anything, I've tried pinkie, butter worms and cod. It showed moderately more interest in the cod, but not enough to eat it. It's very thin, I can feel it's spine quite easily, and it's body is "mushy" feeling. Like I said, I know nothing about garters or wild caughts, any advice would be appreciated. I'm taking fresh pics of all the injuries now.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Here are the pics! Sorry about the image sizes and quality, my computer only let me save one edited one for some reason. I have more if anyone needs to see something else.

136.jpg149.jpg158.jpg166.jpg132.jpg

Thanks again!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Sorry, I tried posting a reply earlier, and it said it needed to be approved by a mod, I didn't realize that quick reply was different than reply to thread. The wounds haven't increased in size or severity since I found it, I've been treating regularly with Polysporin. I'm trying to keep it dry, but it keeps going through it's water dish. It's behaviour is alert and curious, but I can't get it to eat. I tried feeding it before I saw the response saying to wait a bit. It's just so... mushy is the only word I can think to describe it. It has almost no muscle tone. I've tried a pinky, some cod, and butter worms. How long can a sick snake go without eating before I should try force feeding? Anything else that I can do? How worried should I be about parasites? It hasn't pooped since the first day (it went on me when I picked it up to rescue it), it has however produced urates, so it must be drinking. I think it might be going into shed, it's eyes are a tiny bit cloudy, though it could be my imagination. Thanks again for any help you can offer.

No insects at all in the diet and I would not suggest you force feed it.
    Those look like rather minor injuries. The tail injury is of most concern. The other 2 look like they are healing/scared.
    It's not eating for a reason and that is what must be found out.

Have you tired night crawlers? What State are you in? That will help us ID the snake and possible food items.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Hi, I'm New Here!

I live in Ontario, Canada. The tail injury picture was taken right after it happened, it's drying up nicely though, no inflammation that I can see. I haven't tried night crawlers, are they just earthworms or...? I've never dealt with garters or wild caught animals, so I don't really know what is considered "normal" for either, all I have is a captive bred corn snake. It showed more interest in the cod than anything else that I tried, it flicked it's tongue at it quite a bit, but only when I held the fish right in front of it. It didn't show interest in anything else.

I believe T.radix(Plains Garter), T.sirtalis parietalis (Red Sided Garter), T.sirtalis (Eastern Garter), T.butleri (Butler's Garter) and T.sauritus septentrionalis (Northern Ribbon Snake) all range in Ontario. Some of those have very limited range.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Maybe try leaving some live guppies in his/her water bowl over night. Garters can go months without eating. Since the garter is wild caught there is a chance that he could be carrying parasites and should stay in quarantine for at least 90 days. Make sure you wash your hands before and after handling.