Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Expecting greeny blue things that may be orange and ditto on the big chessboard.

I'm 100% sure that both of John's Florida blue girls are carrying. With the male and both females, being relatively young, as well as this being a first litter, my expectations are not high.

Facts are as follows -
    • The weight of the big girl (Rusty) is 217g. The smaller (Marina) is 195g (considering she has eaten more there's a relatively larger gap than shown).
    • Both have pregnancy 'bumps'.
    • The weight and the bumps are more prominent in Rusty and she has also not been as keen on food. I expect to see something happen with her before long.
    • Marina has been extrememly food orientated and the weight is not quite as obvious. Being sisters I would expect to see a similar pattern of behaviour as displayed by Rusty once she gets closer to the same weight, to some degree at least.

On another note - I may have a gravid marcy on my hands but I'm not 100% yet. Her weight is currently 261g.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Re: Expecting greeny blue things that may be orange and ditto on the big chessboard.

Greg...could you please show some pics of these gravid females? If you could focus the shots on the pregnancy bumps it might help me to get a better idea to what I'm looking for when trying to see if Cee Cee is gravid or not. Thanks.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Re: Expecting greeny blue things that may be orange and ditto on the big chessboard.

Well, it's more obvious in these girls because they were without food for a bit. The telling thing comes more from the bumps I feel when handling and applying gentle pressure.
    I think you'll see and learn more from keeping weight records.
    Here is a picture I posted the other day -

You may find flicking through other posts in the breeding section more helpful . I know both Stefan and I have posted threads with weight charts in the past and I'm sure you'll find more examples of 'big' girls with obvious weight in the last third of the body and extreme weight gain.

chart example -

This was my radix girl showing the weight -

The scale spread on this girl was ridiculous -

Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Well, Cee Cee definitely has scale spread...and her weight increased from 130g to 180g in a month. But I have been feeding her more. She definitely has that sausage look in the lower end like those snakes in the pics. I will start weighing her weekly to see if I see a steady increase. Thanks, Greg. This info helps a lot!
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I forgot to say that I have tried to feel for the baby bumps that people describe...but I just don't know what I am feeling for. You saw the video I posted of Cee Cee recently...did she look gravid at all in that video to you? Could you tell?
    Marnie

Best of luck being on baby watch.
    Keep us posted on the progress.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

That's one way to increase the space requirements.
    If the female checkered is gravid she managed about 30 live last year (she deserves a year off next year) have you checked with John whether she could be gravid? She was in with the albino checkered and Kenzo, so unless John had put her in with the males...
    If you do have 3 gravid females you'll be wanting some space on Sjoerd's table at Donny.
    I'm not sure about the female radix I have here, John said that the radix had locked up (brave boy, he's a fraction her size) but so far I'm not convinced she is expecting. Like the Florida blues, this would be a first litter, she wasn't brumated first, and the male is only just mature, so I'd expect slugs.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    I forgot to say that I have tried to feel for the baby bumps that people describe...but I just don't know what I am feeling for. You saw the video I posted of Cee Cee recently...did she look gravid at all in that video to you? Could you tell?
    I'd say it looks likely

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    That's one way to increase the space requirements.
    If the female checkered is gravid she managed about 30 live last year (she deserves a year off next year) have you checked with John whether she could be gravid? She was in with the albino checkered and Kenzo, so unless John had put her in with the males...
    If you do have 3 gravid females you'll be wanting some space on Sjoerd's table at Donny.
    I'm not sure about the female radix I have here, John said that the radix had locked up (brave boy, he's a fraction her size) but so far I'm not convinced she is expecting. Like the Florida blues, this would be a first litter, she wasn't brumated first, and the male is only just mature, so I'd expect slugs.
    Considering she has bred before I would be less sure of her needing a male before producing a litter. I was planning on giving John a phone and will double check , I do remember him saying something about him saying that the old male was still as horny as ever.
    Fingers crossed for the radix mate.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmonsta View Post
    I'd say it looks likely

Considering she has bred before I would be less sure of her needing a male before producing a litter. I was planning on giving John a phone and will double check , I do remember him saying something about him saying that the old male was still as horny as ever.
    Fingers crossed for the radix mate.
    We talking about the snake here, aren't we.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I was just looking at Cee Cee...the scale spread on her is pretty significant. She has been acting very skiddish and wanting to spend all of her time on the warm side of the enclosure. She would eat constantly if I let her. We will see... It is possible that she is just a pig. Lol...
    Marnie