Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Subadult snake

Eastern Blacknecks

This was a tough year for my Eastern Blacknecks. The only confirmed mating was between Tiger and Billy Bob and unfortunately she gave birth when we were away. There were only 4 alive when I got home and she had what looked like a lot of babies that just did not make it of their sac but from what I can tell otherwise looked normal. I was heart broken and wish I had been home when she had them.

Life has gotten to the point where I feel that I must cut back on my snakes. I have decided to stop breeding the garters and will be putting all the Blacknecks except for Tiger up for sale. I have a pair of two year olds that just were not up to breeding this year, Cub who did give me some beautiful babies last year but not this year and Billy Bob the wild caught male who has been a stellar breeder. I also have 3 females left from this year.

If anyone is interested in the garters the best way to communicate with me is via email - jo@mojoherps.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joanna
    mojoherps@gmail.com
    MoJo Herps on Facebook

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Cool Re: Eastern Blacknecks

Mojo, I'm trying to breed mine too, but till now no succes.
    Did you put them in brumation and if so, how long and at what temperatures?
    You keep them very warm or not in their terrarium?
    What is your main food?
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Subadult snake

Re: Eastern Blacknecks

Quote Originally Posted by Thamnophis View Post
    Mojo, I'm trying to breed mine too, but till now no succes.
    Did you put them in brumation and if so, how long and at what temperatures?
    You keep them very warm or not in their terrarium?
    What is your main food?
    I did have one pair breed this year and two females had litters last year. I attributed thisbyears failure to the fact that one pair was only 2 years old and still a little on the small side.

I do not brumate but my garters are in tanks in a basement that has an ambient temp of 60 - 65 F in the winter. They are individually housed and have under tank heat and light bulbs when needed. They are all on frozen rodents. And I feed throuout the winter but my wild caugh male does not eat usually in winter.

It seems people have had problems breeding these in the past. I guess I have just had dumb luck! I get small litters 4- 12, and have had a fair number not make it at birth or that I have given away to Wayne who has a good source of food for them.
    Joanna
    mojoherps@gmail.com
    MoJo Herps on Facebook

Saddens me to read this.... best luck with the other endeavors.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Ditto. Shame you have to sell them, and that the breeding didn't work out.

But they are beautiful!!!!

yeah jo,

who's gonna consistently breed ebns if you don't? you have like the longest record of consistent ebn breedings that i know of! all the babies i got from ya' two years ago are doing great. is it my imagination or are the males in general just more skittish? the two females i got from ya' are baby dolls and handle without a problem. the two males are skittish and one of the two still likes to bite me. tom chiang

Quote Originally Posted by johnnic View Post
    yeah jo,

who's gonna consistently breed ebns if you don't? you have like the longest record of consistent ebn breedings that i know of! all the babies i got from ya' two years ago are doing great. is it my imagination or are the males in general just more skittish? the two females i got from ya' are baby dolls and handle without a problem. the two males are skittish and one of the two still likes to bite me. tom chiang
    I am going to try, I have 3 females and a male from Jo.

My oldest girl is like 4 now, so as soon as the male is old enough...

Subadult snake

It is breaking my heart to do this too but I have too many snakes and even though my kids are now in their teens or close to it, it seems like they need me more. My snakes are just getting too much of my time.

With every email I get I regret even more putting them up for sale but it needs to be done! At least I know I will get to see my babies via Wayne and others here on the boards.

I have not noticed a difference in how skittish the males are versus the females. They are all skittish. The first snake to ever bite me was Tiger! I was so shocked and laughed so hard! She's staying with me - to live out her days as a pet.

I am so surprised that I am one of the only ones to consistently breed these. I really don't do anything special at all!
    Joanna
    mojoherps@gmail.com
    MoJo Herps on Facebook

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I sooooooo wish I could afford to purchase some off you! But being 6.5 months pregnant, I have other things to worry about right now!!! Best of luck... so sad to hear this
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Subadult snake

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    I sooooooo wish I could afford to purchase some off you! But being 6.5 months pregnant, I have other things to worry about right now!!! Best of luck... so sad to hear this
    Sounds like you have your priorities right! Congratulations and good luck.
    Joanna
    mojoherps@gmail.com
    MoJo Herps on Facebook