Question Multiple Garters

My garter is wildcaught and I might let it go. If I get one or two more could I keep them all in the same cage? Petco has about ten in the cage (about 3 dead/unconscious and soggy skin but they were eating crickets; or not eating crickets) I could buy some healthy ones from there or online (probably not).

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Re: Multiple Garters

Quote Originally Posted by abcat1993 View Post
    Petco has about ten in the cage (about 3 dead/unconscious and soggy skin but they were eating crickets;
    WHAT!!! Can you not report them for cruelty...?
    surely that is not right? the should not be allowed to keep them in poor conditions?

I'd avoid the snakes at your local Petco like the plague. The manager of the reptile department seems to know very little about healthy conditions or a proper diet, and the dead snakes and crickets prove it. There's a lot more that could be said, here. Anyway, the overcrowded conditions are only temporary until they sell a few. At that density, and under those moist conditions, the snakes are obviously stressed. Stressed animals (including people) have weaker immune systems and are more susceptible to respiratory infection, pneumonia, parasitic outbreak, etc.

Personally, I'm against releasing almost any wild snake that has been in captivity. If they were stressed while in your care, which is likely simply due to confinement, they may have developed pneumonia or other pathologies. If you release the snake at this time of year it may either die alone or possibly find other snakes and infect them when they're at their most vulnerable... during hibernation in a communal setting. It's a great way to deliver a time bomb into a wild population.

The garters (and other snakes) look a lot better there (more alert, active, etc.), they were more active than my snake. Could you house two different species together? I know some are more likely to eat each other than others.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

Matt,
    If your snake is becoming lethargic, try adding a few sticks, a fake plant, some bark, or anything new to your terrarium once in a while. It doesn't matter what it is. A stuffed animal could work (as long as your snake can't swallow whatever you introduce). The snake becomes alert, stimulated, and more active. If your new accessory comes from outside, try spraying/soaking it in a 5% bleach solution to kill mites/bacteria that might be on it. Then rinse it off with tap water.

Quote Originally Posted by abcat1993 View Post
    The garters (and other snakes) look a lot better there (more alert, active, etc.), they were more active than my snake. Could you house two different species together? I know some are more likely to eat each other than others.
    Well that could also be a sign of stress in their snakes, but Cazador gave some good tips on how to get your snake to become more active. Mess with its environment just a little bit once in a while.

You can house different species together, as long as they are the same sex and about the same size. Just to avoid hybrids and cannibalism.