Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Babies!!!

Never shed

Babies!!!

I was just typing a congrats to Kevin, when I looked over at my puget tank and saw what looked like a worm moving in the corner. Go and look closer and see the tiniest little snake I've ever seen!!! So bitty, can't be more than five inches (actually kind of long for how skinny they are). Only two so far, but I just noticed, and there was only one when I first looked so maybe more. She was still pretty slim, I thought we had weeks more to go. She was still eating all the way to the end too. Maybe just a tiny litter. But they are gorgeous and perfect, with lovely color, even a little better than mom's. So exciting!! I'm just going to have a big stupid grin on my face all day, first snake I've ever had that's had babies....
    Angela
    P.S. We were just about to leave in half-an-hour to go camping! Good thing I was here....

Re: Babies!!!

Congratulations!
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Congratulations!!! Yea, garter babies can be real small depending on the species. Red spots can be around 8 inches long when born, but thay have smaller litters.

Great news, Angela. Don't forget to post pictures when you get back from camping!
    James.

Never shed

Nevermind, they are longer than I thought. I took out a tape measure and held it to the side of the tank as they went crawling by and they are actually close to eight inches! Pretty big I guess, though still look unbelievably small to me.... I've gotten sand boas smaller than them lengthwise, but they are such stocky little creatures they appear much bigger. I wouldn't be surprised if there are only two babies given their mother's and their relative sizes.
    How long should I wait to feed them? It seems amazing to me that those tiny little heads will be able to eat much.... I think I will have to go buy some little guppies from Petco, no way these guys can handle the size minnows they have there. And not to be totally gross, but what do you all specifically mean by pinky "parts"? What I mean is how many pieces should I cut them into? And I can do this with frozen ones right? Not at all looking forward to that part of these babies' care...........

give them about 2 days..they will shed right after birth. guppies are the best for starting them....get a low flat water dish and put a bunch of guppies in and they will find and eat them. that's how i get mine started. as far as pinkie parts, I have frozen pinkie rats...I cut the legs off and mix with f/t trout. they have to be eating first before you cna get them to switch to pinks.

Congrats on your new little ones.....guess it's that time of year!
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Sputnik's Avatar

That's fantastic news! Congratulations. It's so exciting, isn't it?

The first time I had to sort out "pinky parts" I nearly cried. But it is getting much easier. The pinkies are quite easy to cut if you do it while they are still frozen and obviously with a very sharp knife. Just mind you don't slip, best to keep one hand out of the way if you can. I cut them to about the size of the babies' heads. Takes a while for them to work out how to best manage them, but they soon get the hang of it.

When the babies were first born I fed them tiny earthworms from the garden for a couple of weeks. You have to watch them very carefully though as they often grab the same piece of food and separating them can be tricky but absolutely vital if you don't want them to eat each other.

Congratulations, Angela
    what a cool surprise
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Congrats with the little one's
    Small earthworms are also often a good starter meal and you can cut them to the perfect size.