Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Parasites in feeder fish?

So... generally, do we worry about the feeder fish giving our snakes parasites? Do you check fecals on your snakes from time to time and deworm or is it not really a concern? When I got Fluffy, the ball python, I did run a fecal and found she had roundworms. So have dewormed her and the baby ball, Little Squiggles (which is what you get when you let your husband name your snakes, LOL).

Just trying to figure out if it would be prudent to set up a small community tank and raise my own feeder fish, which I could moniter the health of and also deworm from time to time...

Thanks wise snake people!!!! :-)
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

Re: Parasites in feeder fish?

parasites are everywhere . . .
    I personally have not had problems with feeder minnows although some batches look like I should
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Yeah, parasites are all over the place. However, I don't think I've had a single instance of them with feeder fish, but they say that those minnows are the dirtiest fish out there. Try to switch them over to rodents (pinkies/fuzzies depending on the size of the snake). There is a thread from yesterday or the day before about the process of switching them over. It works out best for everything except the rodents.

Question for all, what is the biggest rodent your garter ever ate?
    e.g., hopper, small mouse, medium mouse, large mouse, jumbo mouse, medium rats, etc.

Oh yeah, all animals are going to carry a certain load of parasites at all times. But we do want to prevent an overgrowth which is what leads to the problems. An otherwise healthy animal is going to be able to handle its parasite load, but it's when they becomes compromised by illness that the parasites can take over.

I was also wondering what size rodent the garters eventually eat! Can they get up to full size mice???
    www.newhoperescueva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lori P View Post
    So... generally, do we worry about the feeder fish giving our snakes parasites? Do you check fecals on your snakes from time to time and deworm or is it not really a concern? When I got Fluffy, the ball python, I did run a fecal and found she had roundworms. So have dewormed her and the baby ball, Little Squiggles (which is what you get when you let your husband name your snakes, LOL).

Just trying to figure out if it would be prudent to set up a small community tank and raise my own feeder fish, which I could moniter the health of and also deworm from time to time...

Thanks wise snake people!!!! :-)
    Yeh, you do have to be careful. Any "live" animals that are not captive raised have the capability of passing on parasites. I very rarely feed my garters live fish for just that reason. Flukes, tapeworms, lungworms and roundworms can all be passed on from fish prey. My snakes might get them only once every few months or so. Main diet is rodents and they also get frozen fish fillet and earthworms as well(usually once a month). If you raise your own earthworms, they're pretty parasite free. As far as raising fish, you can try doing platies or other livebearers. They'd probably be the best choice for pretty quick returns on them. I wouldn't randomly deworm though.....putting too many meds into animals is something I really try to avoid....don't think it really benefits them (or us for that matter ).
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

I also agree on not doing random deworming. I always check fecals before deworming, on all the animals; but I work for an equine vet so it's extra easy for me to do that. The dewormers can be very toxic when overused.
    www.newhoperescueva.com

my florida blue ate a full grown gerbil, and my melanistic eastern could eat a small rat!!

That is really impressive. Mine took down the pinks in about 15 seconds each, so do think it's time for fuzzies? What really stinks is that I only have two snakes that eat the same size rodent (my baby pine and kings).

Also, does anyone here have any extra plastic terraniums (like vision cages or whatever) I can buy off them and live in the tri-state area? I am doing my best to get my snakes out of glass and I really hate rubbermaid (too opaque).

before feeding fuzzies you should try to get pinky rats, they got the same size but garters are not so good in digesting hair
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman

"I am doing my best to get my snakes out of glass and I really hate rubbermaid (too"

Is glass bad?????
    www.newhoperescueva.com