Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cross breeding, need help.

in the next few years when my checkered albino is of mating age is it frowned down upon to say mix it with a floriday blue? is that considered simple cross breeding or is that what's called a hybrid, or is hybrid only when 2 totally different snakes mate such as corn snake mating with a kingsnake or garter bred with a water snake? My other question is where can I get info on what would the babies look like and be called if a checkered albino was bred to a florida blue as an example?

Re: Cross breeding, need help.

that would still be a hybrid...2 different garter snake species. albino florida blues are neat, Scott Felzer has them already....

Quote Originally Posted by Philminator View Post
    in the next few years when my checkered albino is of mating age is it frowned down upon to say mix it with a floriday blue? is that considered simple cross breeding or is that what's called a hybrid, or is hybrid only when 2 totally different snakes mate such as corn snake mating with a kingsnake or garter bred with a water snake? My other question is where can I get info on what would the babies look like and be called if a checkered albino was bred to a florida blue as an example?
    I certainly wouldn't do it, it is hybridisation.

Albino Florida blues already exists ... and aren't hybrids .... I certainly am not interested in any hybrids.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

ah ok so best to keep the same species together then, thanks.

ok iv heard a lot of critisism but i too am really curios as to why cross breeding is so bad i mean there are lots of animals people cross breed for pets like dogs, tegus(red-black& white), and many other animals...is it a risk for deformations/deffects, or the possability that some idiot would release one, maybe it goes against personal morals? i do not mean to sound rude or anything like that its just curiosoty.
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    ok iv heard a lot of critisism but i too am really curios as to why cross breeding is so bad i mean there are lots of animals people cross breed for pets like dogs, tegus(red-black& white), and many other animals...is it a risk for deformations/deffects, or the possability that some idiot would release one, maybe it goes against personal morals? i do not mean to sound rude or anything like that its just curiosoty.
    Do we really want the same mess that dogs are in? Dogs that need cesarians, have bad spinal problems, etc.
    It could really be detrimental to the hobby too - What if they are mislabelled or if you end up polluting someone's personal collection.
    I can understand intergrades but even these (along with natural hybridisation) are not often reported.
    To be frank there is really no need to 'play God' when the range of garters available is already so broad and varied that there's no need to add to it.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    Mixing is an endless source of trouble best prevented. It can only end in people not knowing what they have. Hybrids also have a tendency to have an incredibly variable viability and fertility, depending on the species that are crossed. Depending on the cross, deformations, defects and dysfunction of various organs are serious risks. Dogs are a poor comparison, they are all members of the same species and the result of selective breeding, they are not hybrids. They are more of a warning of what might happen, if selective breeding is conducted with complete disregard for the well-being of the animals.

That some "idiot" (accidents do happen) might release one, is indeed a concern. While it's doubtful that they would cause serious harm, it's not impossible.

I don't think morals even need to enter into it, there are very good practical reasons not to cross species.

well all dogs are same family....people breed this wierd dog thats a wolf hybird (stupid once they mature you gatta lay down on them for a long time so they submit to ur domanince), tegus (red and black and white, horses and donkeys for mules, but i do see valid point....who dosnt want to play god tho...and if its in a controlled enviorment with best possable care and a responsable owner i dtill dont see whats all that wrong...but i do see the more of the dark side of cross breeding but id love more opinions and comments...i was thinkn for a while about crossing a flordia blue stripe (yes i know its a morph) with a rd spotted garter....but iv pretty much given up on that idea....untill im in my 40s and out of school and have the time to get the permits....if i havent been talked out of it that is.
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

It is not the same as other pets....since as previously mentioned, all dog breeds belong to the same species....they are simply an example of extreme divergence (and artificial selection)! In general, mutts are actually healthier than purebreds (yay heterozygous advantage?), but thats a whole other conversation and doesn't apply to your question.

Anyway- the thing about mixing snake species that bothers me is if they escape (which does happen ie. florida). The newly created species (as non-native ones) can be highly invasive and ruin the local populations. If it wouldn't naturally occur, there can't be any good that comes with creating it. Of course, hybrids can be very cool looking and I do have to admit I probably wouldn't turn one down (hmm jungle corns!), but I also wouldn't ever breed my own...there are several mechanisms that nature has in place for regulating species and preventing hybrids from occurring that may cause them to have decreased health as well (ie. sterility/inviability).