Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Mice

Question Breeding Mice

I'm breeding pinkies (fuzzies to be more specific) for my snakes and I have a few questions:

1. Is it necessary to leave a couple pinkies for the female to raise in order for her to continue breeding?

Since the mice stink so badly, I have to keep them on my back porch, which means when it gets cold out I have to kill all of them. There isn't enough time for me to let the young ones mature and begin producing. So it would give me more work during the summer and make my job more heart-wrenching at the end of fall. I'm not really sure what I should do. I would prefer to take and freeze the whole litter but I don't know if this would stop the females from producing or cause them to kill their litters.

2. I have access to Ether, which I've found is a very humane way to put animals down. Would Ether, which evaporates quickly, remain in the lungs of a dead pinky or fuzzy? If it does remain in the lungs, how harmful would it be to a snake?

3. If Ether is not an option, what would be the most humane way of extermination? I need fuzzies so freezing is not an option.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You!
    Which is more tempting: The fruit of knowledge or the possessed, talking serpent? DUH! - The Serpent!

Re: Breeding Mice

Very good question about the ether.
    Can't help you but I'm sure you'll get some responses.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Using dry ice in a sealed container to make a carbon dioxide chamber... if you google it things should pop up. I would avoid ether... I am almost sure it would remain inside the dead animal and would probably be harmful to the snakes! Carbon dioxide is a totally normal waste product of an animal though and is harmless to the snakes who eat the mice.
    I prefer to get things over with as quickly as possible and I use blunt force trauma, a swift whack to the back of the head or against a hard object is an instant kill. I would rather go that way than choke to death in a gas chamber!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

I raise mice year round, and used to raise them for Ohio State University for student use. But I used to raise them seasonally as you are thinking of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by GarterGeek View Post
    I'm breeding pinkies (fuzzies to be more specific) for my snakes and I have a few questions:

1. Is it necessary to leave a couple pinkies for the female to raise in order for her to continue breeding?
    The females should continue to produce babies even when the entire litter is taken from her, but if this is done repeatedly, long term, she becomes more likely to eat them at birth. I generally harvest half the litter, and leave the rest of the litter for ten days, when I harvest half of what is left... then when the pups are about 20 days old, I harvest the rest. I have a friend who uses the 10 and 20 day old pups, and this gives me a chance to replace a mouse that is not producing, has an illness, or etc, with one of the pups.

Since the mice stink so badly, I have to keep them on my back porch, which means when it gets cold out I have to kill all of them. There isn't enough time for me to let the young ones mature and begin producing. So it would give me more work during the summer and make my job more heart-wrenching at the end of fall. I'm not really sure what I should do. I would prefer to take and freeze the whole litter but I don't know if this would stop the females from producing or cause them to kill their litters.
    The key to odor control with mice is how often you change the substrate, and how many square inches you allow for each adult mouse. I have a 55 gallon tank with ten mice in it, and change it weekly. I use pine shavings that I purchase in bales at the Tractor Supply store. If you do have to leave them outdoors, they are best in a non-humid area that is shaded all the time. You also need to ensure that raccoons and other vermin cannot open the cage. In the fall, why not find a snake owner who has a boid or something like that, and give away the adult mice?

2. I have access to Ether, which I've found is a very humane way to put animals down. Would Ether, which evaporates quickly, remain in the lungs of a dead pinky or fuzzy? If it does remain in the lungs, how harmful would it be to a snake?

3. If Ether is not an option, what would be the most humane way of extermination? I need fuzzies so freezing is not an option.
    WARNING... SQUEAMISH PEOPLE SHOULD STOP READING HERE.

Humane killing of mice up to the seven day old stage can be done in the freezer. At ten days, you should switch to cervical seperation, if you are not too squeamish to do it. Cervical seperation involves placing the baby mouse on a flat hard surface, place a pencil between the base of the skull and the shoulders, and push the pencil downward against the surface that the mouse is resting on, in a very rapid motion. The skull will seperate from the neck, the mouse will kick a couple of times, and be gone. The mouse will lose conciousness instantly, as long as the motion is quick and sudden.

The other method is a blow to the head, but in mice with a soft skull, this can be messy.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    Using dry ice in a sealed container to make a carbon dioxide chamber... if you google it things should pop up. I would avoid ether... I am almost sure it would remain inside the dead animal and would probably be harmful to the snakes! Carbon dioxide is a totally normal waste product of an animal though and is harmless to the snakes who eat the mice.
    I prefer to get things over with as quickly as possible and I use blunt force trauma, a swift whack to the back of the head or against a hard object is an instant kill. I would rather go that way than choke to death in a gas chamber!
    Thanks You!!!
    I'm definitely not going to use Carbon Dioxide. Choking is a very nasty sensation. I liked Ether so much because it's an anaesthesia. Using an overdose causes the creature to just fall asleep...permanently. However, I don't want my snakes to fall asleep either.
    I'll go for a whack to the head or cervical separation. I'll try both on the first litter to see what works best.
    Which is more tempting: The fruit of knowledge or the possessed, talking serpent? DUH! - The Serpent!

Quote Originally Posted by KITKAT View Post
    I raise mice year round, and used to raise them for Ohio State University for student use. But I used to raise them seasonally as you are thinking of doing.

The females should continue to produce babies even when the entire litter is taken from her, but if this is done repeatedly, long term, she becomes more likely to eat them at birth. I generally harvest half the litter, and leave the rest of the litter for ten days, when I harvest half of what is left... then when the pups are about 20 days old, I harvest the rest. I have a friend who uses the 10 and 20 day old pups, and this gives me a chance to replace a mouse that is not producing, has an illness, or etc, with one of the pups.

So it would be smart for me to leave a pup or two for her to raise? How likely and commonplace is cannibalism? I don't know how much I really need to worry about it.

The key to odor control with mice is how often you change the substrate, and how many square inches you allow for each adult mouse. I have a 55 gallon tank with ten mice in it, and change it weekly. I use pine shavings that I purchase in bales at the Tractor Supply store. If you do have to leave them outdoors, they are best in a non-humid area that is shaded all the time. You also need to ensure that raccoons and other vermin cannot open the cage. In the fall, why not find a snake owner who has a boid or something like that, and give away the adult mice?

I have 4 mice in a medium tupper-ware container. I use newspaper bedding, which I change daily. I don't think it smells that bad, but I still live with my parents who aren't too keen about it.

I didn't think about giving away the adult mice! That's a great idea, I may even already know someone who could be interested.

WARNING... SQUEAMISH PEOPLE SHOULD STOP READING HERE.

Humane killing of mice up to the seven day old stage can be done in the freezer. At ten days, you should switch to cervical seperation, if you are not too squeamish to do it. Cervical seperation involves placing the baby mouse on a flat hard surface, place a pencil between the base of the skull and the shoulders, and push the pencil downward against the surface that the mouse is resting on, in a very rapid motion. The skull will seperate from the neck, the mouse will kick a couple of times, and be gone. The mouse will lose conciousness instantly, as long as the motion is quick and sudden.

The other method is a blow to the head, but in mice with a soft skull, this can be messy.
    Cervical separation it is! I may try a blow just to see how it really works. I don't want to freeze because the fuzzies are larger and have some fur so their suffering would be prolonged somewhat.

Thank you for the great advice! It's such a great help.

For humane killing of fuzzy stage baby mice. Once fur starts to grow, pups are starting to self regulate body temperature, and humane killing cannot be done by freezer.

Use of inhalent killing vapors, such as ether, chloroform, etc, are problematic as they may taint the mouse as a safe food source for reptiles.

Use of blunt force trauma on the skull of fuzzy mice is problematic due to the thinness of the skull.

Therefore, if done quickly, this is a humane method. Note that the force must be quick and must bring the pencil all the way down to meet the surface on which the mouse rests.

This manuver can also be done with the thumb (ie: no pencil involved), even on adult mice, but doing so efficiently and quickly takes practice.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

"First shed In Progress" TheArtist's Avatar

lovely picture... As for your question on cannibalism, I worked in a petstore and have to say that it seemed very rare. in the whole year I was there I only once found 'baby parts' from a baby that had been consumed (for the most part), once I did find blood in the substrate so maybe twice but not much more than that. When snake people came in for pups we would usually only sell half the litter or make sure to leave the mom with one or two, but I never noticed cannibalism.

The key to making them less smelly is cleaning our the water and food bowls and the substrate often! Then the smell isn't very bad, defiantly bearable.
    Amps: 1F Fire Belly Newt, Buddha
    Fish: 5M 3F Guppies 1M 1F Betta Fish 1M Gourami 4NA Kuhli loach 1F Krib

Strikingly Graphic

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtist View Post
    lovely picture... As for your question on cannibalism, I worked in a petstore and have to say that it seemed very rare. in the whole year I was there I only once found 'baby parts' from a baby that had been consumed (for the most part), once I did find blood in the substrate so maybe twice but not much more than that. When snake people came in for pups we would usually only sell half the litter or make sure to leave the mom with one or two, but I never noticed cannibalism.

The key to making them less smelly is cleaning our the water and food bowls and the substrate often! Then the smell isn't very bad, defiantly bearable.
    Thank you! I was really worried about that.

I've heard that putting small amounts of vinegar in their water is supposed to tone down the smell of their urine...Have you had an experience with that? Is it true?

"First shed In Progress" TheArtist's Avatar

Hm i've never heard of that. If you took one mouse and separated it and gave it a try,I don't see a problem with that (separate just in case the mouse like dies or something from an unseen circumstance). Really never noticed the smell of urine to strong with the mice, only the rabbits.

How deep are the shavings your putting in? You may need to add more to absorb it better. I doubt your over crowding. Since we all know petstore crowding is just awful, i'll share this with you, Our tanks were MAYBE 20 gallon and we would have maybe 40 mice in the tank (with babies). The shavings were kept at about three-four inches thick and I never experienced a horrible odor. W used a metal lid that had holes in it on a glass aquarium.
    Amps: 1F Fire Belly Newt, Buddha
    Fish: 5M 3F Guppies 1M 1F Betta Fish 1M Gourami 4NA Kuhli loach 1F Krib

Strikingly Graphic