Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For First shed"

Their first meal!

I know I know, I should not be too excited...garters do not have problems eating, so it is nothing exceptional....BUT well, it is their first meal with me (us, counting my son), so I just wanted to share.

When I bought them, the seller told me that the female had eaten the day before, which was two fridays ago.

I let them stay and get aquainted into their new home for one week, saw them move about speedily all around, climb the tree, burrow under the tree bark and the substratum, drink, have their daily bath (and defecate into the water, all for my son's joy)..and no food?

Before going to earthworms I wanted to try out fish, and yesterday afternoon I placed one small lump of salmon on a long stick, and presented it to Shiro, the male, as Mila, the female was sleeping under the hiding. He refused and went away.
    So, mildly offended I left 12 small pieces of salmon over the tree bark, in a protected spot, half hidden by the photos leaves.
    Then retreated in the background.
    In ten minutes both snakes were out and eating. Male from one side, female from the other side, and I was ready to separate them in case of trouble (it happened to me, with my first garter couple, that they both attacked the same giant nightcrawler, and being the female bigger and faster, I had to cut the worm in two before the two voracious mouths met!).
    Nothing of such happened this time, but both garters had their fill, and they are now happily digesting....
    Next week, worms!

best regards to all
    Pg

Re: Their first meal!

It is an exciting time and your post is welcomed. We all share these kind of moments.
    Glad to hear they have started eating for you.
    What species of garter snake/s do you have?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    It is an exciting time and your post is welcomed. We all share these kind of moments.
    Glad to hear they have started eating for you.
    What species of garter snake/s do you have?
    Thanks!
    About their species and subspecies, I have to confess that I am not so sure.
    My guess is that they are sirtalist sirtalis, just plain black background and lemon yellow stripes, while the ones I had back in the '70 had also small red dots on the sides, and I was told they were sirtalis parietalis (can be wrong, tho).

As soon as they have digested and defecated, I'll post some pics, and you guys will help me!

(The guy who sold them to me comes from Czek republic, there are NO thamnophis for sale in Italy up to today)...

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico View Post
    Thanks!
    About their species and subspecies, I have to confess that I am not so sure.
    My guess is that they are sirtalist sirtalis, just plain black background and lemon yellow stripes, while the ones I had back in the '70 had also small red dots on the sides, and I was told they were sirtalis parietalis (can be wrong, tho).

As soon as they have digested and defecated, I'll post some pics, and you guys will help me!

(The guy who sold them to me comes from Czek republic, there are NO thamnophis for sale in Italy up to today)...
    Both species are available in Europe, and your descriptions sound correct.

Banned

Yeah, and red sided (T. sirtalis parietalis) seem to be the more commonly available ones in Europe since those can be WC in considerable numbers in the eastern half of the U.S. and Canada and then exported.

Congratulazioni! Sono contento che mangiano per voi. Il mio serpenti piace molto anche il salmone.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Quote Originally Posted by katach View Post
    Congratulazioni! Sono contento che mangiano per voi. Il mio serpenti piace molto anche il salmone.
    Grazie (thanks).

Actually, upon advising my son who wanted to start having a "snake", I was sure that garters presented no feeding problems, and for that matter, very few problems at all!.

I just wanted to stress a couple of things, tho.
    First, I have been enquirying and searching around in forums's small markets and breeders's blogs, in Italy, and NO ONE had thamnophis for sale.
    And when I attended the fair last saturday, I understood why: the fashion now is all for elaphe, lampropeltis and python; namely there were about 1500 corn snakes, 2000 false corals and about 600 pythons and boas at the fair, and THREE thamnophis, two I got, and the other, a lone female, I should have gotten too, but I did not....

I envy you guys who have thamnophis in the yard! And by the way, the italian correspondent of your garter, the natrix natrix (Natrix natrix - Wikipedia ) is severely protected, as well as the other italian wild snakes (elaphe longissima, elaphe quatuorlineata, elaphe situla and elaphe scalaris, coluber viridiflavus, coronella austriaca)....
    Plus the vipers.

Hugs all
    Pg

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Feeding time is the best part of having a garter! They eat more often than larger, rodent-eating snakes and are way more interesting to watch in my opinion.
    Thanks for sharing your story, and I'd love to see pictures of your snakes.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I second that request.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

I hate pics. Forget it. Don't worry about it. I don't want to see them. (there Steve, that should get Serpico motivated to spite me)