Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Unhappy Completely clueless...

I'd been wanting a snake for a while, but various finances have kept me back. However, last friday (11/2) a friend of my mother's gave me an Eastern Ribbon Snake. Unfortunately, I'm starting to get worried. He's not eating (I don't know when he was last fed, he hasn't eaten once since I got him on Friday) and I honestly don't know what to feed him. I got him some feeder fish at the pet store, and am planning on going back tomorrow so I can try crickets. Three of the feeder fish currently reside in his (dechlorinated) water bowl.

Is this normal? I'm also looking for an exotic pet veterinarian in the area, so I can get him checked. I want to be a good owner, but I have little to no experience in the care and keeping of snakes. Do you have any advice for me? There's a chance he might've been taken from the wild as well, I've never met the man who gave it to me (as I said, my mother's friend, and he has a busy schedule) and I'm not quite sure what to do.

Re: Completely clueless...

Don't bother with crickets. They aren't garter/ribbon food.

It's not uncommon for snakes to refuse food for several days after moving in. I assume it has a hide and that the temperatures are okay?

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

depending on size garters can go a long time without food one week i wouldn't be worried unless its baby, Make sure you get rosy minnows instead of goldfish, goldfish are bad for them, they will not eat crickets usually garters wont eat for a while when they are getting settled into a new home
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatter1214 View Post
    I'd been wanting a snake for a while, but various finances have kept me back. However, last friday (11/2) a friend of my mother's gave me an Eastern Ribbon Snake. Unfortunately, I'm starting to get worried. He's not eating (I don't know when he was last fed, he hasn't eaten once since I got him on Friday) and I honestly don't know what to feed him. I got him some feeder fish at the pet store, and am planning on going back tomorrow so I can try crickets. Three of the feeder fish currently reside in his (dechlorinated) water bowl.

Is this normal? I'm also looking for an exotic pet veterinarian in the area, so I can get him checked. I want to be a good owner, but I have little to no experience in the care and keeping of snakes. Do you have any advice for me? There's a chance he might've been taken from the wild as well, I've never met the man who gave it to me (as I said, my mother's friend, and he has a busy schedule) and I'm not quite sure what to do.
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

Hi, I'm New Here!

I don't think he's a baby (somewhere in the area of 12-15 inches), he has a place to hide away, and the man who gave it to me and my mother okayed the temperatures (both Biology professors).

I also have a few questions about variety in his diet. I've heard lots of things abut feeding ribbons, but one of the things that concerned me was the conflicting amounts of variety mentioned. Will he get a complete diet off of fish, or will I need other things like fish-scented pinkies?

Welcome to the forum. The information you've been given already is good. As much as you can for the next few days try not to disturbe the new Ribbon too much. Give it a chance to "settle in". Nothing to worry about at this point.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

Hi Madeline, and welcome to the forum. As others have already stated, no need to worry about feeding for a good few days. We have several members who keep Ribbons, so you're in good company!
    James.

Hi Madeleine
    and welcome to this forum
    which part of the country do you live in?
    maybe someone here knows of a vet near you
    there are also some herp vet directories on the web
    enjoy your snake
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Hi, I'm New Here!

Alrighty, that soothes my mind a fair bit. And to answer, I live in north Texas. I also have a contact who keeps snakes by trade (not sure how he makes money from it, is probably a breeder) who I can turn to for further help.

Thanks for all the advice!
    Last edited by Hatter1214; 11-06-2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Redundant information

Madeline, welcome to the forum. You will get all the help you need here!! Like everyone said, let him settle for a bit yet... I am still learning myself, but one thing I've found is that my one picky garter who only wants live minnows has started to take bits of chopped up pinky (frozen/thawed and then chopped) if put in a shallow water bowl WITH the live minnows. But I think the key is to get him eating first, and then try to get him onto pinkies after he is eating regularly. I am getting a ribbon snake too, we can share ideas!!!! :-)
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

"Third shed, A Success" GarterGirl's Avatar

wElCoMe tO tHe fOrUm!!!!
    MIKHAILA