"First shed, A Success"

Advice Needed...

Gang,
    My female juvenile/adult Eastern's has not eaten for 3 weeks now and has become very thin. I am becoming very concerned.....
    I moved her from a 10 gallon to a larger 20 Long tank hoping the extra room may remove any of the possible stress she may have had when she shared the 10 gallon with 4 small Florida Similis's.
    She ate fine when she was housed with the 4 small Similis's, but then quit eating or drinking(that I could observe?) 3 weeks ago.
    I just bought a new 20 Long tank last weekend to house my 4 Similis's and this female Eastern. My 4 growing Similis's feed fine... However, my young adult Eastern continuously wanders around the tank, constantly scales the glass walls to look for any possible opening in the screen-top and simply appears very restless...
    I have tried feeding her Earthworms, Minnows and Pinkies. My other garter's flock to all of these food items and chow them down without any issue.
    I have spent hours watching my young female Eastern to see if she will eat or drink. She simply will not eat or drink....
    I have also moved her into a large Rubber maid Roughneck box by herself with Earthworms and water. Still she appears restless and shows no sign of any appetite...?
    She will always approach the Earthworms or Minnows with her tonge flicking and I think Yes! She is going to eat! She then sniff the food and then keeps on moving around the tank? She will also go right over the large water bowl, which I clean and re-fill every other day. I never see her drink from it.
    She last shed on 8/6 and again, is very thin... I do not see her eyes clouded over again like she is going to shed again...
    Is it possible she is looking for a place to brumate as we are moving towards winter? Could that be why she wanders all around her tank and is not interested in any food?
    I keep her and my other Butler's, Eastern's and my 4 Florida Similis's in my basement with temps in their 20 Long tanks at 80-84 degrees in the warm areas and 70-73 degrees in the cool areas.
    I will also tell you I have noticed that ALL of my 24 Garter's seem to be staying under their fake rocks and hollow logs for the past 2 weeks much more than any time since I became "Customer of the Month" at my local Cleveland area Petland, Petco and Petsmart, since early June this year, when I became addicted to my new Garter buddies! LOL!
    Please let me know what you think?
    Any help would be apprecited!
    Regards,
    Jack

Re: Advice Needed...

a garter that age not eating for three weeks, doesn't seem much reason for concern, but if she is loosing weight that rapidly - that's a bit worrisome
    if she is underweight, putting her into brumation is not a good idea
    have you tried other foods?
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Neary View Post
    Is it possible she is looking for a place to brumate as we are moving towards winter? Could that be why she wanders all around her tank and is not interested in any food?
    Do you know if she was wild caught? This could be exactly what's happening. Her body could be telling her to head for the den. You are right to be worried about her being noticeably thin, tho. Something is stressing her and that stress can make her more susceptible to a host of other things. I would try soaking her while you wait for advice from those more experienced.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

"First shed, A Success"

Tami,
    She was wild caught....
    Thanks for the advice, Tami!
    Jack

"PM Boots For Custom Title" count dewclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    a garter that age not eating for three weeks, doesn't seem much reason for concern, but if she is loosing weight that rapidly - that's a bit worrisome
    I agree, the rapid weight loss is a concern. Was she checked for parasites?

She could be looking for a place to brumate, but again as Rhea said, brumating a thin snake is risky.
    LeAnn
    "The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    "Jokes are for kids, but puns are for the grown."

"First shed, A Success"

LeAnn,
    I caught her in June. She always has eaten fairly well. She looks and seems healthy, just thin...? I have not had her checked for Parasites, as of yet....
    Regards,
    Jack

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I would say that she needs to be brumated.... she is wandering constantly because she feels it is time to search for the den and she is confused because she cannot get there. A brumation snapped the garter that was doing this to me last year out of it.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    I would say that she needs to be brumated.... she is wandering constantly because she feels it is time to search for the den and she is confused because she cannot get there. A brumation snapped the garter that was doing this to me last year out of it.
    Thanks, Shannon!
    Could you kindly please give me your advise on the steps of how I should properly brumate her?
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Neary View Post
    Thanks, Shannon!
    Could you kindly please give me your advise on the steps of how I should properly brumate her?
    Jack
    Jack, here's a link to burmating from the forums general care sheet.
    http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets...et#Hibernation
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon