Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "First shed, A Success"

Advice Needed...

I am thinking of buying a larger tank. I have a 10-Gallon aquarium now. Do you recommend buying a Terrarium or an Aquarium?
    I'm thinking about buying a 20 Gallon tank of whatever you guys (and Gals!!) recommend.

Also... How many adult and Juvenile Garters should I limit placing in a 20 Gallon tank? (Can I also add smaller juvenile Garters and Browns with the 2 large Easterns I have?)
    Thanks for all the great advice!
    Jack

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Re: Advice Needed...

Jack, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 20 gallon long for your two adult Easterns. Then save the 10 gallon for browns or juvenile garters I'm actually planning on starting out two babies in a 20 gallon long, but I don't know if it will adequately house them when they are adults.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

A 20 gallon long will marginally hold 2 adult garters. I have my 2 ribbon snakes in a 20 gallon long, but then again they are a bit smaller than your average adult garter.
    1.1.1 T.p.orarius Gulf Coast Ribbon
    1.0 T.e.vagrans Wandering Garter

Shine on you crazy diamond

"First shed, A Success"

What size do you recomend if the 20 gallon is on the small side?
    Thanks!
    Jack

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

29 or 30 gal for 2 LARGE adults.....AKA big girls..... i have 2 big girls and a medium male that are in a 20L.... but it is way to overcrowded.... so.... i might buy a 50 gal tank for......
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

30 gallon breeders are pretty big, just not tall.
    1.1.1 T.p.orarius Gulf Coast Ribbon
    1.0 T.e.vagrans Wandering Garter

Shine on you crazy diamond

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by jitami View Post
    Jack, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 20 gallon long for your two adult Easterns. Then save the 10 gallon for browns or juvenile garters I'm actually planning on starting out two babies in a 20 gallon long, but I don't know if it will adequately house them when they are adults.
    OK... should I buy an Aquarium tank or a Terrarium tank? My concern is the height? Is taller better for the snakes? Is a Terrarium better in that its shorter an the light I would use will be closer to the snakes vs. higher awaya and not quite as warm?
    Sorry... Just want to buy the right type of tank...
    Thanks, again!
    Jack

i am using a 30 gal 3'long 1' deep and 18" high
    ATM i have 2 small girls only 19" long a medium girl 25" long (she will be moved into a 10 gal for giving birth soon) and a big girl 32" long (she is being released today because she is going to give birth soon too)

and it doesnt seem over crowded although they all like the one rock hide on the right side more than the wood hide on the left side so i think i am going to switch it up for another rock hide

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Jack I don't think it really matters whether you go with the aquarium or terrarium. The advantage of the terrarium is that they usually come with a well fitting screen top and an aquarium you'd have to buy or build a top. It seems garters to like to climb, so the extra height is good, especially if you're going to put the two adult girls in it. As for the light fixture being further from the floor of the tank you have a couple of options there. One, buy a higher wattage and thus hotter bulb. Two, give them an easily accessible basking spot higher up near the light. Then they can choose to be up where it's warmer or not. Here's a thread discussing enclosure size vs. number & size of snakes. http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/encl...ize-two-2.html Hope it helps
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

"First shed, A Success"

Thumbs up Re: Advice Needed...

Quote Originally Posted by jitami View Post
    Jack I don't think it really matters whether you go with the aquarium or terrarium. The advantage of the terrarium is that they usually come with a well fitting screen top and an aquarium you'd have to buy or build a top. It seems garters to like to climb, so the extra height is good, especially if you're going to put the two adult girls in it. As for the light fixture being further from the floor of the tank you have a couple of options there. One, buy a higher wattage and thus hotter bulb. Two, give them an easily accessible basking spot higher up near the light. Then they can choose to be up where it's warmer or not. Here's a thread discussing enclosure size vs. number & size of snakes. http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/encl...ize-two-2.html Hope it helps
    Thanks for the awesome advice, Tami!!
    I have one small Garter that absolutely love to try and get out of the tank every chance he (or she?????) can. When I change their water bowl each morning, this snake comes right to my hand and starts climbing up my arm trying to get out. They are so amazing!