Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ikea enclosure

"Preparing For First shed"

Ikea enclosure

Hoping to make something welcomed, I am posting specs and pics of my enclosure, reserved for my new couple of garters, bought one week ago (btw, they just had their first meal, salmon chunks, and that is why they are not showing in the pics).

The idea is not mine, but rather from a fellow countryman who posted somewhere else his own enclosure project, taken from the Ikea furniture shop.

Basically you buy something from Ikea and apply some glass, or in my case, plexiglass (more expensive, but safer to handle), modify the structure a bit, and off you go.

The structure is this one here:
    EXPEDIT Scaffale - bianco - IKEA

of course I have removed the inside shelves, added plexiglass back and front, with the necessary air vents.

What can't be seen in the pics is the top opening, with plexi cover, which allows a movable UV lamp to shine inside the cage.

Bottom is covered with expanded clay (not sure how to translate that, it goes under the namebrand of "vermiculite") moderately absorbant, very light, non dusty small spheres....snakes like it because they can burrow, and move it a bit if they apply to it, and I like it because I can remove excreta with a spoon, and the results are tidy and hodourless. A bit expensive, tho.

The plant is a pothos....the water container is from the same snake fair I attended and got the snakes from. Expensive, but good looking and efficient.

The enclosure totals about 170 liters, more or less 42 gallons, and the temp. gradient is from 24 C bottom front to 28-30 C top back, where the basking spot is. So far, the couple have explored it and pronounced of their liking.

Structure costs about 20 euro plus the plexiglass 50 euro (yes I know, here is expensive), fittings and stuff some 10 euro more.

In my country you get a 150 liters terrarium for about 200 euro, if you research diligently....

Comments are very welcome!
    Best Regards
    Pg

Apologies for these images quality, I need to work on that still, please bear with me!

Re: Ikea enclosure

You did a great job converting that into an enclosure.

My only concern would be with the vermiculite as a substrate.
    Do you feed your snakes in the enclosure? My concern is with ingesting that material.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    You did a great job converting that into an enclosure.

My only concern would be with the vermiculite as a substrate.
    Do you feed your snakes in the enclosure? My concern is with ingesting that material.
    Well, Steve, the pellets are big enough to present a problem biting them, and to avoid even the smallest trouble, I have given the food on the tree bark, in chunks small enough not to drag around.

Pg

Welcome! I like the idea with the cubes. I just wish the picture was bigger so I could see it more clearly. Looks like a great job.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

I am a stubborn guy, and I am going now to try until the pictures which I have done 800x600 will show right.
    Hope that now they are visible....please let me know if they aren't.
    Thanks!

Pg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Much better!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico View Post
    Well, Steve, the pellets are big enough to present a problem biting them, and to avoid even the smallest trouble, I have given the food on the tree bark, in chunks small enough not to drag around.

Pg
    I can see in your most recent photos the size of the substrate and I can see it shouldn't be a problem.
    It's looking good.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Il tuo armadio sembra meraviglioso. Mi piacciono le palline di argilla, sono abbastanza.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

There might be a problem with the sliding doors whcih can be used to escape ... depending on the size of the snake.
    Michael
    1.1 Woma (Sun Burst), 2.1 Eastern Blackneck, 3.3 Plains Garter, 3.1 Puget Sound,
    2.1 Granite Checker, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (snake sitting )

Thanks for the appreciative comments. And regarding the sliding doors, it has been a concern for me, therefore I have strenghtened the rigidity of the two pieces so neither the smaller male nor the bigger female can slide in between the two doors. Or at least, it is what I hope.
    Nevertheless any advice would be of course very much appreciated.

Regarding the expanded clay pellet's size, I have been using them for all the time the old garters couple lived with me, and I fed them fish, frogs, stripes of meat, earthworms, nightcrawlers, and they never ever had problems with the clay.

Hugs all!

Pg