Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Canadian breeders?

Are there any in Canada? I hear American ones will but the cross border fees are insane

Re: Canadian breeders?

im not entirely certain if there are any in canada but occasionally people will get together for a group buy. but like i said i don't know if that was just for a certain sub-species or if it was because they couldn't find a breeder in canada. i have heard that import fees from the u.s. to canada are very expensive and lots of paperwork. what kind of garters are you looking for?
    2.2.1Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis Ekoh, Amaunet, Emily, Copper,
    1.0 Canis familiaris Chihuahua Hershey
    1.1 Felis catus Jinx and Rocky

Where understanding lives, danger (and fear) dies.

Quote Originally Posted by jwolfe152 View Post
    im not entirely certain if there are any in canada but occasionally people will get together for a group buy. but like i said i don't know if that was just for a certain sub-species or if it was because they couldn't find a breeder in canada. i have heard that import fees from the u.s. to canada are very expensive and lots of paperwork. what kind of garters are you looking for?
    Ya I missed out on the group buy. I was broke and now I'm far from it so I'm hoping to get some.
    neon blue Cali red sided garters, eastern flames, pugget blue sided garter, red- sided garters, radix, maybe a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. It sure is a pain , took me 5 years to find someone to get me a plain checkered garter lol

5 yrs thats crazy, but i bet it was worth it when you finally got it. i hope you can find someone in canada.

Ya it took long because I would give up for a while looking, she's my favourite along with my super dwarf retic . i don't understand why there aren't a lot of them. Everyone breeds balls and boas, which I have a few high end balls but garters are so amazing and their popularity is definitely not lacking. I'm hoping someday to breed them on a regular basis, even if it doesn't make much money. Just the joy of having them would be great.

my first one was one i injured while trimming my parents yard, i scooped him up and put him in a jar and cleaned him up and searched google for help and found this site. heck i never imagined people kept them as pets, but after a few days here and watching him i fell in love with him. i have 4 now and im amazed how different the markings can be. i hear ya about breeding them i have 2 that are pretty small and i love them, i was thinking about trying to breed and just sell them cheap for anyone wanting an eastern and releasing the rest to help replace the ones i caught, but its hard to say what i will do

have you ever thought about going to reptile breeders expos in canada

ReptileExpo.ca

http://www.reptilebreedersexpo.ca/
    at the bottom of the 2nd link they have a list of vendors i don't know if it might help

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Surely some of our Canadian members must be getting close to having breeding pairs to satisfy the Canadian market?
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Glad you kept them, they sure are amazing. I only have 2. Female checkered I got from an expo but he wasn't a vendor lol, it was a parking lot deal I've been to a few expos and I've never seen a garter in my life at any of them. Hopefully some Canadian members have a few, I know Charles in here but we've been out of touch for a long time and he has not been around the forum since April. Not sure when he's coming back.

wow i would think there would be one or two people at the expos with garters. i mean the vendor list seems pretty big to me, and there has to be a few breeders in Canada, maybe they just think they are too common or just not worth enough to deal with them.