Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tiny white bugs in wood shavings

I recently was cleaning the mouse pens, and noticed many little white flecks moving about on the rim of the water dish in some of them.

Like talcum powder that moves...

Flea larvae???

Any thoughts or experience with this?

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

Re: Tiny white bugs in wood shavings

YESSSS! Those are what I saw and thought were mites at first. I think Shanley said they were some kind of wood bug or something like that. I have no idea what they are. I'm thinking probably not flea larvae but who knows. The cage mine were in had the bed-a-beast type stuff in it. I havent noticed them in any of the other cages. I would be curious to know what they are if you find out. I think the only reason I even saw them is because my snake has a black water dish and the white speck showed up pretty well.
    ~Christa

i was reading up on it, could be a parasite from the wood shavings.. But don't quote me on that. or it could be flea larvae.
    Stephanie

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I hear many people call them "thrips" or something like that... they are tiny... they are white, and they often collect on the surface of water in water bowls becaue they float but they cant get out so they all clump together in a floating pile. If they are the same thing I had, they are totally harmless and are just living off of the substrate.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    I hear many people call them "thrips" or something like that... they are tiny... they are white, and they often collect on the surface of water in water bowls becaue they float but they cant get out so they all clump together in a floating pile. If they are the same thing I had, they are totally harmless and are just living off of the substrate.

That is good to know.
    ~Christa

Yes, thrips indeed. You'll often find them in the soil or under the saucer of your house-plants too. Harmless, but unsightly!
    James.

Thanks!!!!!

I first noticed them in a huge 50 gallon poly tote (dark blue) that is my "Substrate dumpster"

There was shavings from a couple dozen cage cleanings (dampness and all) collected in there, the box was getting heavy, so I moved it by the door to take out and dump.

By morning the tote looked like it had been sprinkled with fine sawdust or talcum powder.

I heaved the whole box out the door.

Then last night, I saw it again, on the rim of the stainless bowl in the mouse cage.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

sweet!!! i'm good lol
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Thank you Shannon & James I just looked Thrips up and that is exactly what is going on.

The tiny white specks are the larvae stage, then they become like clumsy fruit flies...

I had noticed "Fruit flies" in the mice pens before, figured they were attracted to the feed or something.

These little insects never seem to bother the mice, but it was bothering me.

Then I'd notice a few hovering around the toilet bowl

Apparently they like moisture.

Also read that some species EAT MITES wow, I can only hope I have that kind

As long as they are not screwing with my animals, they are not something that would make me feel inclined to call an exterminator to correct.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I took the same approach. I pretty much am willing to allow any life form to live alongside me that isn't harming me, my property, or my animals.... yessss I even allow thousand leggers, silverfish, devil centipedes, whatever you want to call those things that somehow find their way into your house and have 58603 legs to live... what's the use in trying to eradicate something that's just trying to make do and isn't bothering me?

I actually think they are quite fascinating!

I caught one last week in eddies house that was a good 2 inches long... and was letting it crawl on my hands and I thought his mom was going to pass out
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!