Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First garters of the year

luckily i took some time today to walk down the street at this park behind my old highschool(biggest highschool on the east coast), theres a very dirty trashy creek that runs through then when the park ends goes back under ground throughout my city.
    i was walking the lowland side of the creek forawhile then decided my chances would be better on the rockyer hilly side consider thats were they probobly hibernate due to flooding of the other side.and it wasnt too nice out so i figured if there were any out they would be near there hibernaculum .
    the second i took the trail to cross the creek i hear something from acros the creek directly were i was gonna go and its a garter, a couple feet long.
    i run across there and i see a watersnake first, then the garter i first spotted started to come towards me and i grab it after looking for him for a minute with the water snake in my hand biting the hell outa me.. i go show my girlfriend (still on the other side of the creek) and let them both go as she watches them in amazement slithering away .
    i go back over find 2 more , another garter and a water snake . shes crossing the creek by now ,i show her, let them go . then im talking to her asking her if i should push my luck as i walk back towards were i found them and right as i said it i found 2 more .after that i thought i def wouldnt find any more and i found one more ,the smallest outa the bunch. right were i found the first 2 . None of these are the same i let them all go on the other side of the creek and keep in mind all of these were within 30 ft of each other , i was walking for about an hour before i seen the first one across the creek.
    i was doubled up all day w snakes in each hands , it was about 55 degrees, very nice considering its been cold for awhile.
    ground was rather warm becuase no clouds n such thats why i think so many were out , the air temp was a bit chilly.
    all of the garters were well over 2 feet , one of them a little over 3 almost, shes was enormous
    these were all caught an released at nailors run park,upper dabry,PA.

turned out to be very fun instead of the normal doobie stroll in the park
    .im advising you to go out and enjoy spring folks.
    take care
    -Ryan

Re: First garters of the year

Great going!

Here I am in the sunny south, USA and only saw a dozen or so Garters all of last year and believe me I searched. We've had a number of days into the 70's already and not the first Garter yet this year.

Sid

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

The season has started, so to say!
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

hey sid , i hear ya on that , ive done a good amount of walking around already this year, we havnt realy had anydays over 60 though back in december i got a 70 degree day up here in PA and i went down to a different park away from a creek and i found one eastern garter and about 10 brown snakes(storeria dekayi) all basking about 10 ft from each other . ive noticed the only times have been seeing sights like this are on warm nears and near or around a big cliffface/hills probly coming right out of there den. like i said after an hour of searching yesterday i had nothing on the one side of the creek once i went on the other side it was a goldmine .
    i was ttalking to afriend that was doing construction more towards the appalachian mountains in PA and said they found like 100 snakes of alltypes n sizes under a foundation of a house . i told him to setup cameras when the weather gets nice and perhaps try n get some footage of them emerging .

I spoke to my friend up north and she's seen quite a few already as well.
    I can't wait to go and look.
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

The weather's getting warmer here too. I'm going to look for Grass Snakes (Natrix natrix) in the next couple of weeks. If I strike lucky I'll post photos.
    James.

They'll probably be really messed up here in Chicago. It was in the sixties in December, then went down again to -temps, now it's back up to high 60's, and next week it's going to be freezing again.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

we had some weird high temps here too
    I wonder whether that'll affect their reproduction
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

It shouldn't, Rhea. There are some interesting studies out of Manitoba showing that the reproductive season of their red-sided garters can actually be extended following cold weather fluctuations. The cold weather sort of acts to re-synchronize male and female reproductive behavior. Lab work confirmed their findings. Basically, individual males showed interest for about three weeks after starting courtship activity. (Remember that not all males emerge or begin courtship at the same time, so there's a bit of variation). After males and unmated females lost interest in the lab, they were exposed to a mini-brumation (4C for 36 hours). Upon their second "emergence" the males and females began courting again.

Also remember that the Manitoba red-sided garters have evolved to tolerate (and in fact become stimulated by) to these temperature fluctuations. One wouldn't want to expose a Florida blue, for example, to such dramatic temp changes.

Rick

Very cool Ryan......I'm still trying to find the den site at the lake where I see all the garters around my house. I may actually head up there today and see if anything is out and about. Wish me luck!
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus