Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here! Chondropython's Avatar

A horror story I hope everyone can learn from

My name is Marcial Mendez, and this is my first post here. I've been keeping and breeding snakes for close to 35 years. I am now primarily an arboreal python / boa breeder, but my first snake was a western red-sided garter when I was 6 years old, and I thought it would be cool to add a few nice garters to my collection.

I wish that my first post would be something better, but here goes...

Several months ago, I contract Jeff Benfer about a yearling neon blue phase cali red sided garter... I've always loved these, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to snag a beautiful older-than-hatchling female. Jeff and I ended up making a deal on her and a 2014 male. The male was feeding on worms, and Jeff agreed to get him on pink parts for me before sending.

Fast forward a few months to this week. Jeff let me know that the male was ready to go, and he shipped to me on Monday.

They arrived in perfect condition, and I was blown away with their colors and how nice they were.

As a typical course of action for new arrivals, I quarantine in a separate part of the house, and, as a precaution, I treat tubs with Provent-a-mite spray. I've never had mites, and it is something that I am extremely paranoid about, so I treat for them regardless of where a new animal might come from. I have used this product for 15+ years on everything from baby green tree pythons and emerald tree boas to kingsnakes and tortoises, and I have never once had any problems. Once dry, the product is supposed to be harmless to vertebrates. Well, I learned the hard way that that is not the case.

As soon as I brought the animals in, I put them in their new tubs and left them alone. The following morning (yesterday), I checked on them on my way to work and noticed the male exhibiting some pretty weird behavior.. rolling, mouth gaping, twitching, and jerky movements. I immediately knew these were neurological issues that were attributed to the mite treatment. I removed both animals and placed them in untreated tubs, but it was unfortunately too late. When I got home from work, I had lost the little male. The female was now also exhibiting the same symptoms. When I checked on her this morning, she was still alive but very limp and lethargic, and I'm afraid that I'm going to lose her as well.

As you can imagine, I am totally sick about this. The anticipation of getting them, and having them arrive well exceeding my expectations changed to total dismay when I realized what was happening... I literally almost puked. After corresponding with Jeff, he let me know that he had experienced the same result using this product in the past.

Anyway, I wanted to make this post so that others might learn from it as well and not have the same thing happen to them.

Apparently, garters are very sensitive to this product... DO NOT USE IT ON THEM!

Re: A horror story I hope everyone can learn from

Sorry to hear about this situation. I've been there myself. A treated a tub following all the directions and suggestions from the developer. I put the neonates in and 3 of them reacted, dying a short time later from the same symptoms you described.
    I think you are correct, some snakes are sensitive to the product.
    Once again, sorry for your loss.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Subadult snake

I"m sorry about your loss.

How big were these snakes (grams)? These are toxic products. It's great that you practice quarantine, this is your best defence against bringing in unwanted pathogens. There are ways for quality quarantine without pre-emptively treating for bugs.

Ian

Hi, I'm New Here! Chondropython's Avatar

Thanks, guys... I've been sick about it for the last two days... live and learn, I guess. Very tough lesson to learn the hard way though.

I lost the female yesterday as well.

I'm not sure on weights... the male was only a few months old, so I would guess maybe under 10 grams? He was still feeding on cut pinks. The female was quite a bit larger... again, just a guess, but I would say maybe 50-75 grams. She was eating fuzzy mice.

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

In the Netherlands some years ago a keeper of Thamnophis lost a number of snakes after he used a shampoo to kill lice (for human use). This shampoo is often used to get rid of mites in other snakes and is quite mild.
    But apparently not for Thamnophis (and other "watersnakes"). The active substance in this shampoo is Loxazol.
    Sorry for your loss!
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

I just got off the phone with Bob at ProProducts (Provent-A-Mite). I explained the concerns in this thread and the fact a few members have had snakes die after using the product. Bob explained some application issues I was not aware of. I asked if he would join the forum and post a thread explaining the things we discussed. Instead of that he's going to email the information and I will post it in a separate thread.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Sorry to read this like everyone. Nice following a bad thing thru to something that might be good for everybody, good going Steve.

Old and wise snake

I lost an adult years ago to the same product. I bought her in a pet store so I was using it precautionary. I'll never use it again!!
    Ed

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

I looked up what the working ingredient is of Provent-a-mite spray. That is Permethrin.
    The anti-lice shampoo I mentioned above has also Permethrin as working ingredient...
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa