Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black snake ?

Black snake ?

I was at work and I noitced a lil snake stuck in a spider web , so I got it out of the web and it was a black snake with a yellow ring around it's head can somebody tell me what it is and if it is poisionus at all ? I am thinking about keeping it I will take a pic of it . Thanx

Stan

Re: Black snake ?

Ringneck, Diadophis punctatus. Completely harmless, but apparently difficult to keep alive.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigstan03 View Post
    I was at work and I noitced a lil snake stuck in a spider web , so I got it out of the web and it was a black snake with a yellow ring around it's head can somebody tell me what it is and if it is poisionus at all ? I am thinking about keeping it I will take a pic of it . Thanx

Stan
    A quick lesson on how to identify venomous snakes in the USA.

1. Does it have red, yellow, and black bands all up and down its body? If so, are the red bands touching any of the yellow bands? If so, then it is likely a coral snake, an elapid (relative of the cobra). Very dangerous.

2. Is the head a distinct triangular or heart shape, with vertically slotted pupils? If so, it is likely a crotalid (pit viper).

a. Does it have rattles on its tail? (I don't think I need to explain further).

b. Is the inside of its mouth a bright white color? If so, water moccasin (agkistrodon piscivorus).

c. Is its head a coppery reddish orange color? If so, copperhead moccasin (agkistrodon contortrix).

These are the dangerous ones. There is evidence that some American colubrids - including some hognoses and garters - do in fact have venom, but that it is not powerful enough to harm humans. So no real need to worry about them.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Indeed. And if you're ever unsure about a snake, treat it as if it were venomous.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Very yes.

As a friend of mine - a former Army Ranger - once said concerning snakes: "I'm not risking my life for some nursery rhyme. If I see a snake that even looks like it might be poisonous, I'm staying away."
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Common Ringneck snake or Diadophis Punctatus.
    You probably found the northern ringneck snake or Diadophis Punctatus eswardsii.
    -Alex

What do you usually feed a snake like this ? Thanx for everybody's help on this . It might not live long but my 2yr thinks its cool so I want to try to keep it for a while if I can .

Nice save. Good job.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

ringneck snakes often favor other snakes as a prey item. "it might not live long but my 2 year old likes it" is not a good reason to keep the snake and it also shows total disregard and lack of respect for that creature's life., so please, don't do it! Ringnecks are incredibly difficult to keep especially out of the wild. they are very, very shy, they are picky eaters and they just don't make good captives. If you don't have experience keeping snakes, it's just plain a bad idea to try keeping a ringneck, and it is in the best interest of the snake to be released. a cornsnake makes a great first snake. They are easy to maintain, easy to feed, colorful, handleable, and they grow to a size that is actually handleable, and they cope with handling well. Sure, you will have to shell out some $$ for the snake and supplies, but it is definitely worth it. A ringneck snake does not really make a great pet snake period.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    ringneck snakes often favor other snakes as a prey item. "it might not live long but my 2 year old likes it" is not a good reason to keep the snake and it also shows total disregard and lack of respect for that creature's life., so please, don't do it! Ringnecks are incredibly difficult to keep especially out of the wild. they are very, very shy, they are picky eaters and they just don't make good captives. If you don't have experience keeping snakes, it's just plain a bad idea to try keeping a ringneck, and it is in the best interest of the snake to be released. a cornsnake makes a great first snake. They are easy to maintain, easy to feed, colorful, handleable, and they grow to a size that is actually handleable, and they cope with handling well. Sure, you will have to shell out some $$ for the snake and supplies, but it is definitely worth it. A ringneck snake does not really make a great pet snake period.
    I didn't mean it in that way , like I was going to kill the damn snake get your panies out your *** . I was just asking a few ? And no I am not leting it go . A friend of mine that is a snake lover came over and is going to help me out so go piss on somebody else thread will yea !!! Thanx for the help from everybody else .