Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Manny's new vivarium

Finally finished and set up the new vivarium, I've taken some picture for you guys to see:

new_viv1.jpgnew_viv2.jpgnew_viv3.jpg

The only final touches I need are put put the guard on the lamp, buy new bigger UTH mat, more plants and a background.

I am going to build a little shelf type thing using the rock like platform as one of the legs and place it in the corner so it works as a hide and give it more levels for him to explore.

What do you guys think?
    1.1 T.s.parietalis - Manny and Olive
    1.3 Poecilia reticulata - Mojo and not yet named R.I.P Shushi =[
    0.4 Poecilia reticulata Fry - Snake grub =P
    1.0 Ampullariidae - Ernie R.I.P Bert =[

Re: Manny's new vivarium

Looks beautiful.
    My only concern is the light in the viv.
    I can't tell what bulb you're using but allowing access to the inside and outside of the light fixture could be dangerous.
    Burns are easily inflicted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Right...even with a guard...does the outside of the lamp get hot? Also...what are the white vent panel looking things on the right and left walls? And the little grey vent on the lower back wall? Do these have holes that he can get into? It does look lovely!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Looks beautiful. My only concern is the light in the viv. I can't tell what bulb you're using but allowing access to the inside and outside of the light fixture could be dangerous. Burns are easily inflicted.
    It's only a 40w bulb and I have felt the outside of the shade and it doesn't actually get that hot, I can pick it up and doesn't bother me. The bulb has a reflective bit around the base so all the heat get's directed downwards. I've also moved it a little higher and further towards the front since taking these pictures so he shouldn't be able to reach it even from the branch thing in the corner. I also intend on putting a hook fixture from the top panel so I can hang it from the center of the warm side and that way it will be way out of his way and will get a more even basking area.

He's having a really good explore and just been up the branch now and wrapped himself round the sensor cable ha ha he can't reach the lamp now so all is good and he seems happy

He looks happy, btw...he looks big!
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    Right...even with a guard...does the outside of the lamp get hot? Also...what are the white vent panel looking things on the right and left walls? And the little grey vent on the lower back wall? Do these have holes that he can get into? It does look lovely!
    Thank you

Like I just said to Steve, the outside of the lamp doesn't get hot.

I have sealed all the vents with silicon so they are secure and the hole in the vents are only small, he's tried ha ha but there's no way he can get out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    He looks happy, btw...he looks big!
    Yeah he's getting big and no surprise the way he eats! I think if I fed him every time he wanted to eat he would be a right fatty!

He's only a year old now, will he carry on growing? I hope so

There is no way he can get stuck in the holes either? I am not sure how long they continue to grow...good question. Another member can answer that...I am interested in the answer as well.
    Marnie

Quote Originally Posted by JodiLeigh View Post
    It's only a 40w bulb and I have felt the outside of the shade and it doesn't actually get that hot, I can pick it up and doesn't bother me. The bulb has a reflective bit around the base so all the heat get's directed downwards. I've also moved it a little higher and further towards the front since taking these pictures so he shouldn't be able to reach it even from the branch thing in the corner. I also intend on putting a hook fixture from the top panel so I can hang it from the center of the warm side and that way it will be way out of his way and will get a more even basking area.

He's having a really good explore and just been up the branch now and wrapped himself round the sensor cable ha ha he can't reach the lamp now so all is good and he seems happy

With all that in mind I think there is still a concern as those holes on the light fixture would allow a snake to stick it's head in.
    I'm sure a 40W bulb is capable of creating enough heat to burn. Being unable to hold the bulb itself you can't be sure it won't burn the snake.
    I'm not trying to tell you what to do but this would concern me.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post

With all that in mind I think there is still a concern as those holes on the light fixture would allow a snake to stick it's head in.
    I'm sure a 40W bulb is capable of creating enough heat to burn. Being unable to hold the bulb itself you can't be sure it won't burn the snake.
    I'm not trying to tell you what to do but this would concern me.
    No no, of course. I appreciate the advice. I would do the same if I knew I could help reduce the risk to someone else's snake.

Yeah that's a good point about the holes in the lamp fixture, didn't think about that. The holes are small but I guess he could get his nose in, I'll come up with a solution for this. Thank you

He definitely can't reach it now, I've been watching him and like I say I will be attaching it to the top panel so it's then right out the way.