Thread: New in Town

"Preparing For Second shed" Snakeknot's Avatar

New in Town

Hiya! I just joined to do so research before taking the plunge. I already own 4 snakes; 2 sand boas and 2 corns. ( I have an account on cornsnakes.com under Pal-O-Mine. ) I just need to educate myself on garters so I have a lot of questions. Are you LEGALLY able to collect garter snakes in Pa.??? No problem if not being as I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE reptile shows and I don't think the blue phase garter is native to my area. ( I'm NUTS about the color blue. I think I worried my mother as a child over this. Imagine a little girl who hates pink! ) Anyway, hi all.

Devon

Re: New in Town

Welcome aboard.

hi Devon
    here's a link to your PA state regulations: Summary of Pennsylvania Fishing Laws and Regulations - Reptiles and Amphibians - Seasons and Limits
    and I think you must live near my amazing herp vet
    welcome to the forum
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Rhea,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just stick to my original plan of BUYING a garter snake. But being a wildlife biologist's daughter, its a very good thing to be aware of the laws of the state in which you live.

Next question : What are the prices on garter snakes and do they sell them at local reptile shows? I never thought to look before.

Who is your amazing herp vet? There is a vet up the road from me that all the local snake owners rave about. I have yet to meet him. I really should take care of that SOON!

Devon

Nice to have you on the forum, Devon.
    Gathering info. about your future addiction is a good idea
    Bring on your questions, we as forum member would love to help you.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hello & welcome! Nice to see you joined! I don't know about reptile shows, but when I was looking into getting mine the typical price for either a baby Puget (pickeringi) or True Blue Striped (similis) online was around $30 to $50. Adults were around $90 to $130, but those two species are a little hard to find. If I'd had the money, I'd probably have gotten a neon blue phase red-sided, but the Pugets I ended up getting are beautiful too. I will warn you to check anyone you're thinking about buying from on BOI, because there are two individuals that have either of those two species fairly often that do not have a good rep, I'm not going to name them on here though, since you can look them up on the BOI. Hope that helped some! Good luck finding your new addition & we're going to need pictures when you get one!
    Too many snakes! 15 species and counting. 2.2 plus Crested geckos 2.2 Gargoyle geckos 0.2 Chihuahua 2.1 evil cats.
    Elemental Exotics

Well, I am a huge photo-bug. If its an animal, I will try to take that perfect pic. HOWEVER, I also have serious computer problems being as I am dial-up only because of being rural. ( Kinda a requirement when it comes to also owning horses! ) So I have a boatload of pics that I can only SOMETIMES post. Aggravating! I'm having a great day connection-wise today! If I disappear for days, its probably because of connection issues. If it goes on too long I'll go to the library to get my e-mail fix. But if I get a garter snake I will eventually, come hell or high water, post pics somehow!

Devon

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeknot View Post
    Rhea,
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll just stick to my original plan of BUYING a garter snake.
    oh - I never meant for you to catch one, but the same laws apply to owning them
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakeknot View Post
    Who is your amazing herp vet? There is a vet up the road from me that all the local snake owners rave about. I have yet to meet him. I really should take care of that SOON
    that must be Doc Feinsod - he's the best; and a garter nut like us
    you have no idea what I have to go through to get my animals to him, being a carless Brooklynite, but when they need it, it's worth getting them to him. He's not just some guy who thought it might be a good idea to add a specialty to his DVM - he's really into herps
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Greetings
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Odie's Avatar

Hi, from Oregon, Devon