Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: threesome?

threesome?

here's a question for you more experienced breeders:
    when you wish for a male to mate with two females, how do you introduce them?
    or is this not the done thing?
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Re: threesome?

I would introduce the females one at a time. The surest way is to have more than one male, this creates competition between the males, so mating is more likely.
    James.

thanks
    right now I'm stuck with what I've got
    will see what happens
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Good luck Rhea!
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

thanks Tami
    right now it looks like the girls are both giving him cold vibes and hanging out with each other instead
    rhea

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Rhea, for me, it depends on the age. If they are pretty young- like within a couple weeks after weaning, you can usually intoduce them all at once. If the females are older, I have better luck introducing the females to the male, one at a time, a couple days apart. It has been my experience that 2 or three females, when living together for some time, will often band together and kill any new males- especially if he is put into their cage.
    I have had best success raising them together from just-weaned. I have bred 1 male with anywhere from 3 to 9 females. I would say 2-7 is ideal, in my opinion.
    I actually have one colony right now with 2 males and 9 females- the males were raised together, so it works. Otherwise they'd fight.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Rhea, for me, it depends on the age. If they are pretty young- like within a couple weeks after weaning, you can usually intoduce them all at once. If the females are older, I have better luck introducing the females to the male, one at a time, a couple days apart. It has been my experience that 2 or three females, when living together for some time, will often band together and kill any new males- especially if he is put into their cage.
    I have had best success raising them together from just-weaned. I have bred 1 male with anywhere from 3 to 9 females. I would say 2-7 is ideal, in my opinion.
    I actually have one colony right now with 2 males and 9 females- the males were raised together, so it works. Otherwise they'd fight.

I really thought you were talking about snakes here, until I saw the "band together and kill the male part" LOL. I sat there trying to imagine how on earth three large female garter snakes would suddenly assemble and beat a male to death! And why such an expierienced keeper would spout such nonsense about snakes.... but THEN in clicked. haha!

I think she may mean snakes though???

Rhea, were you asking about breeding snakes, or mice? LOL!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

HAHA, I totally misread this thread I think I was thinking mice. I was on another mouse thread just before this one...

Yeah, I was wondering just exactly when baby snakes were weaned....

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

Haha...you got me on that one too. Thats ok though, i needed the laugh.
    ~Christa