Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool field herpin in brown county!!!

i need some advice on find snakes in general...i went herping yesterday the only thing we saw was a toad and it urinated on me...twice. the snake in particular that i am trying to catch is a fox snake. idk where to look, i read up on it and looked in the habitat listed and found nothing, is there something else i could do to help find them? the other snakes we wanted is the wisconsin water snake, the fox snake, eastern milk snake, or the brown snake.

if you want more details on them heres the dnr link to their speicies list...
    Snakes of Wisconsin - WDNR

i am trying to get a hold of any of those guys, but the one i am most interested in is the brown snake, and the fox snake.

i live in brown country wisconsin, in particular green bay

Re: field herpin in brown county!!!

Chris, when it comes to finding snakes in the wild, in an area you're not familiar with, you can't beat local knowledge. So ask the people who live in the area and who like/keep snakes. Many species, even widespread ones, can be quite localized in their distribution. Find the local herpers, and you'll find the local herps!
    James.

in my experience best time to find snakes during hot weather is in the mornings and evenings midday is just too hot (in my area) unlike lizards who often give their prescence away by runnign away (makes noise) most snakes will stay still unless you get too close, but early morning or evening you'll find them basking or crawling about
    g'luck

A little advise to add from my experiences. Take your time and really watch all around you, don't get in a hurry. Be willing to spend time looking under rocks, logs and other debris, including trash. This is how I find most of the herps I've seen.

Sid

yes I agree with sid but please..... put anything back that you move exactly they way you have found it, I cant count how many times i have found my stomping grounds ruined by careless snake hunters moving rocks logs etc etc and just leaving them whereever, just because there was nothing there then doesnt mean something doesnt call it home.I have spent a great amount of time trying to make areas usbale by reptiles and other creatures again after some ignorant snake hunters made a mess. nature can be delicate please use common sense and respect it

Well said, Kevin. Very good point.
    James.

i hate it when people do that, theres loads of wooded areas around here and i always see little kids romping around looking for snakes and turtles and they tear every thing up, they make me pretty mad and i talked to the parents, and they said "boys will be boys" so when they come across a rattler and it bites them, then i can say told ya so.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey! Phil here from pjreptiles2@hotmail.com My time's out looking is early in the morning or at dusk, I have a few brown snake's and got them from a worm bed after a rain, I'm looking for eastern worm snake's and red spotted garter's If anyone out there could hook me up. Thank's for reading. Coffee

Never shed

Hi, You can find Fox snakes alot of places in Wi. but portage area is good also along the Peshtigo near Crivitz, Pound area. Please check out my new post, it will set you straight on herp laws in the state. David

You can find them under rocks basking on rocks or plain old "walking" around.
    Josh

0.0.2 T.s.sirtalis