Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Preparing For First shed" Venti's Avatar

Surprise birth, need help?

Well, my red-sided garter snake just gave birth to 16 live babies, 2-3 slugs, no stillborns.

Right now I have them in a plastic container with some paper towels, a hide, and a water bowl. When should I start feeding them? Is there anything else I should provide?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Re: Surprise birth, need help?

Congrats!!! Thats great news on the babies. I would keep them on damp paper towels for a few days with a shallow water dish. You can offer food when you get ready, but they are full on yolk right now. Some will eat when first born, but most usually wait about 4-7 days before they will eat the first meal. I have seen babies go 2 weeks before the first meal. Three days after mine is born i put food in and some usually feed and then i put a small portion of food in everyday for a couple of weeks and the ones that don't eat on the first day may eat on the next good luck with them and try to post pics if you can we love to see babies. Look on the forum caresheets if you need any info on caring for them there is lots of great info.
    Bluesirtalis

Group picture?

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Wow, congrats! Hope they do well for you!!

you've got them set up fine, just make sure the temps are good in that container
    I don't start feeding babies until they're four days old, and I'm lazy, so I offer them frozen thawed stuff before I run out and get them hooked on guppies
    I personally get too anxious around group feedings, and don't like that I don't know who's eaten, unless it was a fat chunk
    that's why I feed mine in deli containers, and then I separate them into groups of who ate what afterwards - makes it easier to track their progress
    some of your red sided babies (assuming parietalis) may surprise you by taking unscented f/t pinkie strips right from the get-go
    I start of with that, and trout or salmon strips, and Sally's SF Bay silversides - all of these are for me easy to obtain, reliable, storable food items, and if they take any of that it makes life easier
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Banned

Be careful that they don't stay constantly damp. Personally I keep them on dry paper towels and use a 16 or 20 oz plastic bottle cap for a water dish so they don't get the enclosure all wet.

You should keep them damp for a day or two but not much longer than that. If I'm keeping them in a plastic shoebox tub, I set just end of it (opposite of the water dish side) on an undertank heater and make sure there's plenty of holes smaller than their heads. Good ventilation is important.

Stay on top of it and keep the enclosure clean. This means daily cleaning for a group of them. Too much moisture and/or dirtiness can cause blister disease really fast.

You don't have to worry about feeding right now. They just got well fed on yolk. That should last them a while. Just make sure they're dry after the first day or two, and always have easy access to clean water.

Good luck, and congrats!

My babies ate after 15 days. They just came out, so they don't need to be eating for quite some time.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Be careful that they don't stay constantly damp. Personally I keep them on dry paper towels and use a 16 or 20 oz plastic bottle cap for a water dish so they don't get the enclosure all wet.
    thanks for pointing that out
    I don't think damp paper towels are a good idea at all
    a shallow water dish that gets changed frequently is a much better idea
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"Preparing For First shed" Venti's Avatar

Thank you everyone for the help, I chopped up some night crawler for them, and saw one gulp a mouthful down before I had to go out to eat. I came back a few minutes ago and all the worm chunks were gone, so I will cut up some more tomorrow

Theif is pigging out like usual, I am still suprised how she managed to fit 16 into her thin girth. For anyone who saw her picture a few weeks ago, it didn't seem like she was gravid, compared to what I've seen. Though, now that I think of it, she was a bit fatter then usual.

Pictures!
    (Click to view larger images)

Before she gave birth.

After.

In their box without their water bowl and paper towels. (So I could get a better picture).

A close up.

And since I was wrong about the number of jellybeans and whatnot, here is the information on these little guys.

Information:

Born on 7.22.11, at approx. 1:00 PM.
    Approx. 13 babies.
    5-6 jellybeans.
    2 stillborns.
    3 died after birth.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Wow sound like nice healthy babies! First day and they ate! Do you know which did and which didnt?