Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Juvenile snake

Sku's new roomie

So everyone on here was right. I couldn't stop at just one I went out tonight and picked up a garter snake from the pet store. As corny as it sounds but I've named him Stu, Sku's step brother I tried to get some pictures. They might be a bit blurry as he's very busy investigating his new surroundings. If anyone feels like attempting to identify what particular breed he is I'd be very grateful. He has two light brown stripes down his back with a thin black stripe in between.

Patrick and sometimes Bethany

Re: Sku's new roomie

Nice snake. But it's not a Garter Snake, it's a Keelback Snake Xenochrophis vittatus.
    This is an Indonesian species, and if wild caught, which they nearly always are, is likely to be heavily infested with parasites. Please keep it separate from your other snake until you're sure your vet has cleared it of internal nasties!
    James.

ditto
    definitely keep separate from your other snake for a quarantine period of at least two months in any case because parasites can turn up under the skin that the vet might not find through a fecal exam
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

That's great advice! Still a great looking snake. Looks like it has a good home. Enjoy, Keelbacks need good homes to. We have a Petco. and Pet Smart opening soon in our town. I plan on keeping a close eye on their reptiles.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

wow beautiful snake! i want one of those..... too bad they don't sell anything other than corns and balls around here
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    Nice snake. But it's not a Garter Snake, it's a Keelback Snake Xenochrophis vittatus.
    This is an Indonesian species, and if wild caught, which they nearly always are, is likely to be heavily infested with parasites. Please keep it separate from your other snake until you're sure your vet has cleared it of internal nasties!
    Why do pet stores say they are garters? I still haven't yet to see any garters, ribbons or keelback snakes.
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by reptile3 View Post
    Why do pet stores say they are garters?
    Because they don't know their arse from their elbow.
    James.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

gasp!!!!

well as stated previously, that is not at all a garter, but a striped keelback.... their care is similar but I would definitely, without a doubt separate it.... it is almost positively wild caught and loaded with parasites that could be really dangerous to your other snake... Every striped keelback I've ever bought has dropped dead for "seemingly" no reason.

I personally would not house garter/ribbon snakes and keelbacks together at all... they are both rear fanged animals and being so different, if one accidentally bites the other...especially the keelback to the ribbon.... bad things could happen!!!

I do wish you best of luck with this new snake though! I wish I could find some already!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Juvenile snake

Dagnabit. I was wondering why I couldn't find a picture that matched his pattern. I'll have to pull him out of his cage then and put him in the small one. Thanks for the warning. By the way. What exactly would an Indonesian snake be doing in the greater Kansas City Area anyways?
    Patrick and sometimes Bethany

Good luck with him Patrick. They really are beautiful snakes, and as Shannon says their care is almost identical to a Garter, once you get them clean and healthy.
    James.