Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to garters

Hi, I'm New Here!

New to garters

Hello everyone. Im Ericka, new to garters and this forum. My sons recently found a baby garter snake in our backyard. Its a tiny little thing. Probably only about 8 inches. We are in central columbus ohio. Any help with its care would be so greatly appreciated. Ill be posting in the husbandry forum soon because i have a few questions about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old and wise snake

Re: New to garters

Hello
    That is a Northern brown snake.
    Good luck with it!

Nice to have you with us. As stated, not a Thamnophis but Storeria dekayi is always welcome on this page. Care is much the same as a garter but these guys are slug eating machines. The heat requirement isn't as pressing as with Thamnophis. Clean fresh water and lots of places to hide. They don't get very big at all. Slugs and small earthworms are very good foods. Some have even taken extra small pinkies. We have a S. dekayi expert on the page, hopefully Infernalis will come on and ad to the thread.
    Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

HI and Welcome to the forum!!
    personally i would release it. they are very hard to care for cause most don't eat in captivity. if you want a garter its the perfect time of year cause it breeding season so there will be many species of captive bred garters available in the next few months.

anthony luison also has had success with this species.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been looking up info on the web about the northern brown snake. Learning a bit. Actually seems like a lot since i knew nothing about them to start with.

"Third shed In Progress"

As others have said, that is a brown snake. They are cute little snakes that most people have never really though about. They eat various different types of worms and slugs. I keep a small group of them and just collect slugs from my garden to feed them with, I have probably rid my garden of a thousand slugs over the last year feeding them.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Ashley ( Slipknot) has bred them successfully in the past. I will send her a pm and maybe she will respond.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey guys. We have had Slyther for 15 days now. It has shown a bit of interest in garden worms and very small slugs. It opens it's mouth but thats as far as it goes.It also has a ring of dead skin (edit: its more of flakes of dead skin not really a ring.)around it's neck (that's the only spot) but it's eyes have not changed (edit: or anything else.)

Quote Originally Posted by Summerslove8090 View Post
    Hey guys. We have had Slyther for 15 days now. It has shown a bit of interest in garden worms and very small slugs. It opens it's mouth but thats as far as it goes.It also has a ring of dead skin (edit: its more of flakes of dead skin not really a ring.)around it's neck (that's the only spot) but it's eyes have not changed (edit: or anything else.)
    try giving it a luke warm soak to loosen the dry skin