Hi, I'm New Here!

Injured, slightly squished, garter snake

I have a small garter snake living under my home. It is no more than 1 1/2 feet in length. I don't know much about snakes except I find them intriguing and like having them around. Unfortunately, this little one has been going under a small wooden bridge that is part of my walk way. It seems the bridge shifted and the snake became squished or pinned underneath it. The good thing is one, the ground was soft and muddy, and two, I am nosey and wanted to check on it! Which is how I found it. It was snappy and irritated none the less. Tried to bite me, but failed. I was glad it was spunky. After a few minutes, it went under the house like it always does when we disturb it. Its flattened area seemed to be "perking" back up by then and I noticed it "secreted" all over the place under the bridge. It looked as if it rectal(?) area was pooching out just a little bit, but no free flowing blood anywhere. Should I let it be or try to help it out when it comes back out? I'm new at this! I help most critters, but this is my first injured snake! DSCN0712.jpg This is the snake before it was squished!

Re: Injured, slightly squished, garter snake

do you have any pictures of it now??

Many times when they musk their cloaca can prolapse a little. It's usually not a problem.
    The snakes reaction to you seems normal. When it went under the house was it moving in a normal way?
    Glad you are concerned and want to help.
    You would be amazed at how flexible snakes can be and yet not get injured.

Be sure to introduce yourself in the welcome lounge so we can give you an official welcome. Here's a link to the lounge and a link to the forum care sheet. The care sheet will give you a look at caring for a garter snake.
    The Garter Snake Lounge
    Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

If it was moving normally it's a good sign. Have you fixed the bridge so he can't get injured again?
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

I would leave the little guy alone. They are pretty tough critters. It takes a lot to kill a snake. I wouldnt imagine that he has anything worse than broken ribs from that situation. Ribs will heal though. Just keep an eye on him from now on!
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you so much for all the advice! Yes, I did fix the bridge so he doesn't get injured or any other snakes for that matter! He was certainly moving normal when he went under the house. He wasn't too happy, but he was moving great! I am sorry, but I didn't even think to take pictures of his wound area! I'm usually good about that! I just paniced when I saw he was hurt. I am keeping an eye out for him everyday, but I am sure he has chosen another location around my home to hide! Again, thanks for all the advice!