Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transporting over short distances

In the next week(/weeks) I will be moving in with my friend, and of course bringing Proximus(And, for now, the baby Earthsnake). The place I'm moving to is only 10(maybe 15) minutes away. Can I transport him in his same enclosure? I would of course take the stuff out so it doesn't slide around and possibly crush him. But is there any issues with that, that maybe would stress him out?
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Re: Transporting over short distances

I think it would be better to transport him in a critter keeper, just in case an accident happens and his glass enclosure were to break with him in it.

As long as it doesn't get to hot or cold in the vehicle I think they will be fine.
    If you are still concerned put them in a paper towel lined container/snake bag/sock for the trip.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

How about in a snake size container inside the viv? If I move snakes in the car I always have them in a plastic box with a locking lid, usually double boxed because I'm paranoid (so deli carton inside a RUB). If your viv has any glass that's another reason not to transport just in that, because no matter how carefully you move it there's a chance the glass may break and provide a convenient escape route.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Glass breakage. Good point to bring up Chris.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Go ahead and move them.
    -Tyrel

I didn't think about the glass...I'll just put them each in a little container of some kind for the little trip.

Thanks guys
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

I have a couple plastic boxes with locking lids for road trips.
    For short trips to visit friends or school groups, I drop the snake into a cotton drawstring pouch and tuck it inside my shirt. Im a familiar smell and in cold weather drastic temperature changes are avoided. When I. Reach my destination, I undo the closure and trusted snakes have the option of hiding, peeking out, or coming out and riding around my neck or in my hair. Mine have learned to retreat back into the bag when they have had enough socializing.

I have a turtle tub...it's a big plastic tub with a built in screen in the lid. I got it at the pet store...but it wasn't cheap. I use it for transporting. Any plastic tub would work. If you could drill air holes in...that would be even better...but shouldn't be a problem without them for your short trip. One tip that a member told me about is to make sure you put a label on the container that says "Non-venomous Garter Snakes". So, if God forbid, you were in an accident...you don't have the police calling animal control to confiscate your "dangerous" snakes. I keep labels on all my tanks in my house too...since we have to have paramedics coming all the time for my father who is ill.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    One tip that a member told me about is to make sure you put a label on the container that says "Non-venomous Garter Snakes". So, if God forbid, you were in an accident...you don't have the police calling animal control to confiscate your "dangerous" snakes.
    Also something I hadn't considered. I wil definitely do that. I think I'll be putting Proximus in his "cheesy poofs" container, and the baby in one of those ziploc twisty lid containers.
    ~* Emily *~