Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Last Wild Garter of the Year Contest

I propose having a "last wild garter of the year" contest. From now until the end of the year, why doesn't anyone who finds a wild garter report it on this thread. Then we'll review the posts in January 2007 and see who won. The only stipulation is that the garter must be wild, and it must have been found outdoors.

I'd propose that anyone who wishes to, could sent one dollar ($1) in foreign or domestic currency to the winner (or perhaps to Jason/Boots, as a trustworthy caretaker of the money before the contest ends). If the winner chooses not to post their address online (or give it to Boots), we would need to have a fallback plan. Maybe the person who found the second-to-last garter would want to offer their address. Then Jason/Boots could either distribute the money, a gift certificate, or an actual prize (rodentpro shipment, free garter, etc.) to the winner. If we choose to send a free snake, it could even be purchased from one of our members who breeds snakes.

Participation, of course, would be voluntary as would the donation of the dollar, and we would have to operate under the honor system. Each report of a wild snake discovery would have to include details of the discovery, including a rough description of the area as well as events of the day for us all to enjoy. There aren't any wild garters within about 300 miles of where I live in Alaska, so this isn't a self-serving proposal. If this is something we want to do, we could probably come up with a lot more ideas to make it more interesting, like having a poll to decide on the prize. What do you say? Do we have a contest?

Re: Last Wild Garter of the Year Contest

Go for it. does a garter found without a camera count. I mean, you won't be carrying it around all the time. and can I enter my garter, which was found a couple weeks ago, just in case nobody else finds one? Although the people in southern states would probably be able to find one still. I think if we made a poll, everybody would want a free garter, depending on the size of both the garter and the rodentpro shipment
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

Like you say, people don't carry around a camera all the time, so pictures would also be optional. This has to be completely on the honor system, and the success of future contests would be based on how this one plays out.

Whether we have a contest at all has to depend on the interest level of the forum members and whether we could find a "treasurer." I proposed Jason but don't know if he's willing to accept the job. The prize would also depend on how many people send in the dollar. Maybe the winner would only receive $1 if interest is low.

Once we find the "treasurer" anyone wanting to contribute a dollar (or win the jackpot) should send them a private message to the treasurer. Then the treasurer would have to be willing to send a private message with their address enclosed to everyone that wants to participate. That way, nobody would have to post their address on the internet.

Sounds like a fun contest! But what about us guys further north....all the garters are heading for hibernation now... down in the southern states they could still be found as it doesn't get as cold...

Yep, folks further south would have the best odds of winning, so I view it as a one dollar donation for the sake of stimulating interaction, fostering commaraderie, and hearing stories about how late garters can be found in different locales. I can see other contests, too, like "best photo of the month." The tricky part is enhancing participation and awarding prizes. Maybe this will get the ball rolling and server as a prototype that we can refine.

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Cool Re: Last Wild Garter of the Year Contest

I am afraid that I will not see any garters in the wild in Holland.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Thamnophis View Post
    I am afraid that I will not see any garters in the wild in Holland.
    Don't worry. Just travel to Halland (Sweden). There's reportedly a wild T. sirtalis parietalis population in that area.

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Cool Re: Last Wild Garter of the Year Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Don't worry. Just travel to Halland (Sweden). There's reportedly a wild T. sirtalis parietalis population in that area.
    Really... ?

Do you have more info on that?

I have often said to my colleagues in the Reptile Zoo that it is amazing that there are no population of Thamnophis living in the wild in the Netherlands.
    I know of Pantherophis guttatus that they can survive the whole year in our country, but it is difficult to reproduce because our summers are to short to incubate he eggs.
    And that is no problem with Thamnophis because of their live-giving birth.
    There must be escaped specimen here that survidec over longer time. Maybe tey did not find a partner. It's just a matter of time that a pregnant female escapes somewhere.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Thamnophis View Post
    Really... ?

Do you have more info on that?

I have often said to my colleagues in the Reptile Zoo that it is amazing that there are no population of Thamnophis living in the wild in the Netherlands.
    I know of Pantherophis guttatus that they can survive the whole year in our country, but it is difficult to reproduce because our summers are to short to incubate he eggs.
    And that is no problem with Thamnophis because of their live-giving birth.
    There must be escaped specimen here that survidec over longer time. Maybe tey did not find a partner. It's just a matter of time that a pregnant female escapes somewhere.
    Really.

I haven't really seen any big stories about the Halland population, but I have seen several fairly credible sources mention it and a few eyewitness accounts. I think it's been mentioned more than once in the Swedish media.

As for thamnophis in Europe, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a wild population elsewhere too. I've heard that the red-eared sliders (another North American species) are pretty much thriving in certain places in western Europe. Just judging by the common garter snake's diet and how far north they have spread in North America, I'd say they should be able to survive anywhere the grass snake (Natrix natrix) can. But what do I know, I'm not an expert.

I'm almost certain that a lady from the UK on another forum found her T.s. parietalis in the wild after a flood. I could double-check on that statement if you're interested.