Never shed

US Garter popularity and availability in US/Canada

Clearly some species are readily available while others are not, some are very popular while others are not.

No, I'm not entering the garter business, but I'm kind of curious as to what is rare on the US/Canada market (either because they aren't popular or because pairs do not exist) and what is sought after.

For example, it seems that Santa Cruz garters are being bred by several breeders while I haven't (yet) seen Diabo, Oregon, or Sierra garters - though the latter two probably have a presence.

Part of why Diablo may not be on market is that until recently (and still in Stebbins 2003) they were considered Santa Cruz, so it wouldn't surprise me if Diablo lines either were mixed with Santa Cruz before the species split or simply were not collected.

I've seen lots of wandering garters on the market, but haven't yet seen Mountain. I did see Coast garters on European market (which now by some is considered a red morph of Mountain garter).

Were the now invalidated Klamath garters ever on the market, and are there still breeders of it? (no, not looking to buy - I'm in California and don't think it is legal since the cross enters california and both species that make the cross are in CA)

Just curious as someone into herps for long time but just now getting into garters what the market looks like.

In Lampropeltis, Pituophis, Pantherophis circles, locality lines are sometimes highly valued. Is that the case with garters as well?

Re: US Garter popularity and availability in US/Canada

a lot of the western species are just now getting into the market. Scott Felzer acquired some nice coast garters (I have been trying to get them..not a lot of luck yet). I have a trio of juvenile mountain garters...will be a bit before they are breeding size. I would love to get some Diablo garters!!!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: US Garter popularity and availability in US/Canada

I think the main reasons for some types not being commonly available is a combination of them having a limited range and there being a limited number of people who take interest in them. For a species to get into circulation, there would have to be someone actually within their range that takes interest in them and legally collects and distributes those to that very limited group of people who take interest in them. I own a 2009 pair of santa cruz... some infernalis, eastern blacknecks, oregon red spots, and many others, and as for sierra garters, if I come across some I will get some, but I probably won't go out of my way for them because they are just not as attractive as most of the snakes I already own.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!