Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Please Help My Ribbon Snake!

About a month an a half ago I had to spend a few days out of my house due to renovation and brought my snake with me to my friend's. When we returned to my place, I tried feeding her but she wouldn't eat. She went a few weeks without eating, which is typical when she is about to shed. This time was particularly longer than the last bunch of times so i grew concerned. Finally after about a month, she shed, and I fed her Rosie Reds, has it is all she has eaten since I bought her about 4 years ago. She only had a few of them, which was also strange having not eaten for over a month, and after she shed's she usually feasts. Three days ago I picked her up and she started rolling like crazy in my arms, to the point I thought I was causing her stress so put her in the cage, where she continued to roll and thrash (like an alligator when they attack prey). I left the fish in her tank, and still no eating. Today when I moved near her tank, she started rolling like mad again, and finally ended the rolling by biting her neck, about an inch down from her head, and holding on as if trying to kill herself. I tried to remove her from there, and after a minute, she let her self go. Then she opened her mouth and pressed it against the glassas if trying to dislocate it. Now she is laying head up against the glass. For the last week or so, she has not been going into her cave, and has been trying to erect her body veritcally.

I came on this forum once before for help, and you guys were great. So i came back and read similar stories of their garter snakes rolling. One reply said something about Thiaminase poisoning and B1 deficiency. They said that it is probably too late to do anything and the snake should be put out of its misery.

Needless to say i DEFINITELY do not want to put my snake down, as I love her as much as a pet owner loves their pet, but i DEFINTELY do not want her to suffer!

Please please please tell me what I can do to help her, and if putting her down is the best or only option for her, please let me know how to do it with minimizing the suffering.

As always, i really appreciate everyone's help. It is hard to find snake experts, especially for little guys like my Ribbon Snake. -Sean

Re: Please Help My Ribbon Snake!

Hello Sean,
    Sorry to hear about this.
    It sounds like you've done some research and have found this doesn't look good.
    A Vet. visit is called for but a Vet. make not be able to help at this point.
    Is does sound bad. This situation could be over at anytime or it could drag on for days.
    You are the only person who must make the decision. I don't think anyone would think less of you or judge you badly if you were to put her down.
    Rolling, mouth open, biting herself is not a good sign at all.
    In my humble opinion it sounds like she is suffering and for sure you are.
    Whether she is in pain or actually aware of what's going on is a question I'm not sure can be answered.
    I will never consider myself an expert but only a person who tries to make life better for the guests that I take care of.

Does she show any signs of normalcy? Does she drink? What about tongue flicking? Does she react to visual stimuli? Not touch be things passed in front of her.

I wish I could be more helpful.
    Please keep us posted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Sean, I am so sorry to hear about the difficulty you are having with your snake. It does sound suspiciously like thiamanaise poisening. I know many members would say to end the suffering of your snake and I know you don't want to do that. How long has this gone on? What have you been feeding the snake as it's primary diet? Have you brought or can you bring the snake to a vet? I hope this can have a happy ending.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Sorry about your snake It sounds like your snake it having some pretty bad neurological problems. You might have to consider euthanasia if it's the most humane thing for the snake, but if you don't want to do that, then a vet visit is necessary. It sounds like this isn't something that you can help at home. If it is a vitamin deficiency, then they might still be able to give an injection of B1.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I failed to answer part of your post.

If I have to put a snake down I put them in a container with paper towels on the top and bottom of the snake. This tends to hold the snake more secure and I hope makes the snake feel more secure.
    Then they go in a refridge at 37° for an hour or more. Then into the deep freeze for whatever time, usually until the next day.
    This is just what I do.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks for the quick replies guys, and i will keep checking back througout the night and morning before i can get her to a vet. The first I noticed the convulsions (rolling) was on Monday, I refilled her dish with Rosie Reds, and picked her up. As soon as I got her out of her tank in my hands, the convulsing began, and she continued to convulse when i placed her back in the tank for another 60 seconds. Since then, for the little time that I have been around her, she has been calm, not in her cave at all though, which is not typical of her. About one hour ago, right before I posted my original message, I was hanging some clothes in the closet near her tank and I think the reflection of the metal caught her eye, and she started slithering in circles, then violently throwing her body around her tank, until she finally bit onto her neck. This is the first I ever saw her bite herself, and I immediatly became extremely scared, while the convulsing could be normal behavior, I knew the biting herself, and activity that followed is serious.

I bought her in October 2008 I want to say. She has ONLY eaten Rosie Reds (95%) and Guppies (5%). When she was a few months, I tried to feed her a pinky. I left only the pinky in the tank with her and after a few days of watching the pinky suffer and my snake keep away, I got rid of the pinky and stuck to rosies. I had a snake a longgg time ago, which died under my family's care while I was away at college. After that I did a lot of research, (aparently not enough), which told me goldfish (which I fed to my orignal snake, which was a garter, not a ribbon), that goldfish were TERRIBLE to feed to snakes, because they are the "junk" fish. What my research came to was to feed them Rosies, which was also the recommendation from my apprently not so smart petstore owner. So that is her diet, and after my current research I am convinced that her diet has caused this deficiency.

She is currently still in the position she has been in for the last hour, with her head pressed up against the glass not moving.

I will be calling every vet tomorrow during work, which I cannot miss tomorrow out of all days, but will be able to leave around 1 pm.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what a snake vet visit would cost me? along with a B1 shot?

And if that is not an option, and I do have to do the deed, please please please what is the most peaceful method to end her suffering? I know worms can live if you cut off their heads, so i do not want to crush her head or something and she still be alive, and certainly don't have it in me to do that. ahhhhh

Thank you Steve, for explaining that to him. It is necessary information.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you steve

The rosy reds are like the goldfish. They are not on the approved diet list. I am not sure of the cost of a vet visit for this, some other members may be able to help you on this.

I am sorry to say that it does not sound promising but if you intend to try every vet, at least you have tried.

I pray you can get your friend healthy again.
    Le Ann

You and your snake are in my prayer.
    This is a very difficult position to be in.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!