Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Hypo/Pastel Checkered gave birth today-ironically

Ironic because I had just posted pics of her in another post by Brad Chambers in the discussion of his new babies, must have been all that good carma and wishes last night, spurred her on to give birth.
    Anyway she only had 3 babies and 2 jelly beans, but the babies are very, very large. I figured she would have a small litter as she is a small sized snake for a 2 yr old female. Of the 3 babies one is maybe a shade lighter in color and he popped male, but all 3 have the same light olive top of the head as the mother and pretty red/orange eyes, not sure if the one is a pastel or they all are, or none are, but none are granites, although 3 is too small a sample to make any conclutions or inferences. This is however what I expected, the sire is my male granite checkered so all 3 of these babies are 100% het for granite, that we know for sure. I think it is doubtfull that the granite and pastels that Brad proved out are the same gene, although the phenotype does have similar aberant pattern and color changes from the wild type, but the granite is more radical. It will be interesting to see what comes from breeding these potientially double hets back to each other or to mom or to the granite gene. Who knows how those two genes will react to each other, but it is neat to see Brads new babies whether they are a new recessive gene or "supers" of a co-dom, and it's nice knowing that the dame of this litter is from that same stock so potientially these 3 babies could be double het for granite and Brads pastel gene, anyway you slice it that is a lot of potiential to be excited about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Second shed In Progress" RdubSnider's Avatar

Re: Hypo/Pastel Checkered gave birth today-ironically

Those three are very nice looking. The potential with them is pretty exciting. Congratulations
    Randy

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

jeff... is she a pastel? She doesn't look like one.. maybe the camera washes out the glow... but I don't see an erractic neck pattern or head pattern... not that they all have to have it... I have had pastels born with normal head patterns but that's the normalest (new word, I invented it) looking pastel I have seen yet! I think is cute that the one little baby is literally a spitting image of her!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Well, Brad sold her to me as a hypo aka now called pastel 2 years ago, I assume she is a sibbling to the pair that just produced his new babies, so I guess your question is for him to answer, I'm just along for the ride and I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over weather she is or is not a hypo/pastel either way, but I hope next generation I get the same result he did, but I guess we shall see, either way the sire is my granite so the babies are 100% het for granite, that is garanteed as she was raised up by me and virgin untill this spring and I own no other checkered males besides my granite. She has dulled up some since she was a baby, so I don't know if she is a co-dom pastel or "het" recessive pastel or what. shrug. I guess if Brads gene is recessive then she would also be het and these babies would also be 50% possible het for Brads recessive pastel gene and 100% het granite.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Well, Brad sold her to me as a hypo aka now called pastel 2 years ago, I assume she is a sibbling to the pair that just produced his new babies, so I guess your question is for him to answer, I'm just along for the ride and I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over weather she is or is not a hypo/pastel either way, but I hope next generation I get the same result he did, but I guess we shall see, either way the sire is my granite so the babies are 100% het for granite, that is garanteed as she was raised up by me and virgin untill this spring and I own no other checkered males besides my granite. She has dulled up some since she was a baby, so I don't know if she is a co-dom pastel or "het" recessive pastel or what. shrug. I guess if Brads gene is recessive then she would also be het and these babies would also be 50% possible het for Brads recessive pastel gene and 100% het granite.
    lol... I wouldn't get bent out of shape either... she's a good lookin' snake! It was probably more apparent when she was a baby that shes a pastel.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Never shed

Well, at the time I was sure about which babies were pastel and which weren't. Needless to say, i'm starting to second guess all that now!

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

Congratulation Jeff!!

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Jeff nice lookin babies at any rate. I'm of the same mindset I'm also not gonna get bent outta of shape either way but it's also such a mystery that is kinda fun to try and figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by BChambers View Post
    Well, at the time I was sure about which babies were pastel and which weren't. Needless to say, i'm starting to second guess all that now!
    Haha I hear ya, I've been doing the same for some time now.
    Chris

Congrats on the babies!!

Congrats, Jeff.

Ric
    T. radix ~ L. t. hondurensis ~ P. reticulata ~ F. catus ~ C. l. familiaris
    ricmartn@gmail.com