Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

General Breeding Questions

So my female Flame, Harley, is going to be two years old this May. I'm curious if that would be old enough to let her breed? You can look at her and tell she's probably still got some growing to do, but she's at a size now like... Maybe comparable to a small male (still slightly smaller than Houdini, but then again he's on the upper end of the male size range).

Another question is how likely would I be to get a successful mating out of snakes that haven't brumated? I'm not dead-set on having squiggles this year so I didn't brumate anyone. If there's a decent chance of mating without brumation I may be on the lookout for adult males I think would be good matches for Harley.
    I'm sure Sithis would love to give it a try, but right now she's more likely to look at him as a snack than as a cute boy.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Re: General Breeding Questions

2 years as a rule is a good age to start breeding. I've found that brumation enhances breeding but isn't dependent on it. I have plenty of snakes that breed without brumation. If the female is ready and sending out the right messages and the male is ready ,willing and able things should go good.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

I'll second Steve! Garters are usually go to go by the second year. What would you be breeding her to?
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

She'll probably be even larger by the time I'd actually be breeding her as well. If the way she acts around Houdini on their 'playdates' is any indication, she is definitely ready to go

Well, my baby albino (starting to think he might ought to be classified as ery/albino or something. Crazy amounts of red starting to show up on that little guy) is going to eventually be her partner but he's too young right now. I'm thinking anything that would either compliment and enhance her reds, or anything that wouldn't interfere with them... So erythristic, flame, or albino (she's 66% poss het) would be the morphs I'd be looking for to mate with her.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Brumation encourages the development of ova in females and the development of healthier sperm in males (plus it gets them in the mood). While there have been cases of them breeding without brumation, and even cases of them producing healthy litters without brumation, you are about 20 times more likely to produce a larger healthier litter when the snakes have been properly brumated.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    Brumation encourages the development of ova in females and the development of healthier sperm in males (plus it gets them in the mood). While there have been cases of them breeding without brumation, and even cases of them producing healthy litters without brumation, you are about 20 times more likely to produce a larger healthier litter when the snakes have been properly brumated.

Would you please reference this 20% study.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

You are about 20 times more likely to produce a larger healthier litter when the snakes have been properly brumated.
    Saying 20 times is just my opinion.
    -Greg

Hm... I would question that simply because Florida has a healthy garter population. In the more southerly parts it stays in the low to mid 70's all winter. Of course, idk much about how the snakes in that locale act. Those temps might be enough to cause them to go into brumation.

(plus it gets them in the mood).
    I guess should never brumate mine unless I want them to start courting cage decorations then Harley and Houdini start trying to lock up after about 45 seconds together. Of course, it's kind of the equivalent of setting up a 40 year old virgin on a blind date (HA!) with a college student on spring break, so it's not that surprising.
    Lora

Since this is a flame, I am assuming that we are talking about an eastern, Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis. And please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that in the majority of the Eastern's range, it gets down to brumating temperatures. So is it NECESSARY? No but it sure does help.
    -Greg

Since this is a flame, I am assuming that we are talking about an eastern, Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis. And please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that in the majority of the Eastern's range, it gets down to brumating temperatures. So is it NECESSARY? No but it sure does help.
    Yes, all of my babies are Easterns. My point was that if not brumating caused a 20X reduction in litter survival/size then Florida would not have the nice healthy garter population that it does. I'm not saying brumation is not conducive to mating; it certainly is. It's just that I have not heard anything about it causing drastically increased production of ova and sperm, nor have I heard of a 20X increase in litter productivity anywhere else.
    If there is evidence for those things I would be interested to read it/hear the experiences. Because saying those things is very different from just saying that brumation increases the likelihood of successful mating.
    Lora