Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Sad downside to summer snake activity...

I was driving today, and saw what I thought was a bird eating a snake. When I slowed down enough for the bird to fly off, I kept going since I figured the bird was after a snake that was already dead. Then, when I got too close to stop, the snake started crawling across the road. It was about a six foot long king snake or black snake (couldn't tell 100%) and I felt terrible about it.

We're out in the middle of the woods, so there have already been several huge snakes killed this way right around my house. It drives me crazy because I know a lot of people who do it on purpose, and this first part of summer is always the worst because they get on the roads to bask when the mornings are still cool.

Sorry for the rant, but this has been eating at me since it happened!
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Banned

Re: Sad downside to summer snake activity...

This is just one of the hazards of being a free wild snake. I often see jays pick up small snakes, usually babies, and take off with them or swallow them. I also see crows pick larger snakes (concinnus') to death and eat just certain organs but they will also swallow small snakes whole. I often see crows and jays raiding nests of other birds too, eating the young so they're not just picking on snakes. While it makes me cringe when I see it, I do not interfere. This is the way of nature. Birds need to eat, and snakes are an important seasonal food source for many wild creatures. That's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    . I also see crows pick larger snakes (concinnus') to death and eat just certain organs but they will also swallow small snakes whole.

Snake livers are a delicacy to ravens and crows....

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

such is the circle of life... it's cruel, and I sometimes feel a little upset seeing a hawk fly away from the field with a snake, but the birds get theirs from the snakes too. Snakes raid the nests of birds and eat both the eggs and the young. And birds actually care a whole lot about their babies, and are noticeable distraught for some time after this happens...
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

as for killing snakes on the road, people are sick, and I hope they get smashed on the road too.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    as for killing snakes on the road, people are sick, and I hope they get smashed on the road too.
    yes indeed !!!

I feel the same way, Shannon. Some people here go out of their way to stomp on the innocent, baby garters here. It's sad, since there aren't many here anymore. One of my neighbors likes to rip their heads off. He's a cruel, sick person and has been even before he started doing that. I cant believe people do stuff like that. It's just sick.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I'm cool with the birds eating snakes (I mean, I'd rather not watch animals dismember each other, but I know it needs to happen), but I mainly hate seeing them get hit on the road, because that's just not natural.

My research mentor showed me this photo; good to know the snake doesn't always lose the fight... Even if the picture itself is a little disturbing.

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/hawk_snake600.jpg
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    I'm cool with the birds eating snakes (I mean, I'd rather not watch animals dismember each other, but I know it needs to happen), but I mainly hate seeing them get hit on the road, because that's just not natural.

My research mentor showed me this photo; good to know the snake doesn't always lose the fight... Even if the picture itself is a little disturbing.

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/hawk_snake600.jpg

THAT is awesome. That right there is the Chuck Norris of snakes!!!! That snake is so hardcore that when he takes off his sunglasses, he has another pair of sunglasses on underneath!

How about a caption for that photo. Something like this.

" I told you hawkboy, Thursday or else. Well, it's Thursday. It's gonna be hard making a living with 2 busted wings"
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee