Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question new enclosure items

ok so on monday i am getting a 30 gal tank for george one of my main concerns is for heat since i have ac what wattage of bulb should i get and what kind my local pet store has too many to choose from

ive narrowed it down to a blue incandesant daylight bulb that doubles as a heat lamp(i dunno that is what it says on the box light&heat)
    or a 100 watt spotlight bulb im not sure which would work best so if everyone can post what orks best for them with a description then i can know what to get
    thanks every1

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Re: new enclosure items

I just use a heat pad on the bottom of the tank. Eastern garters are pretty content at just room temp with a nice warm spot to choose if they need it. I use a plain old desk lamp for light, you can use a compact fluorescent bulb in the summer, and switch to a regular 60 watt in the colder weather to add a bit more heat in the tank. I actually find mine are more active when it's in the 70's for temp, rather than 80's or higher.
    Anji

i like the heatpad idea but they are more expensive than a bulb and i don't have a ton of financing so ya

but i will keep it in mind

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I ahve noticed the same... I have heating pads under my garters... and none of my easterns ever use them!!! theyre always on the cool end... I even checked to make sure its not TOO warm... they simply seem to prefer room temps! I am sure they sneak some heat at some point though
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Fair enough! They can get a bit pricey.
    Anji

I provide basking lights for my gravid girls though... and they bask... all... day... long!

along with extra worms... and foot massages... and back rubs
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    I ahve noticed the same... I have heating pads under my garters... and none of my easterns ever use them!!! theyre always on the cool end... I even checked to make sure its not TOO warm... they simply seem to prefer room temps! I am sure they sneak some heat at some point though
    They seem to use the heat only for a while after a big meal.
    And considering I find the wild ones out and about in the spring as soon as the temps hit 60, I guess they really do prefer the cooler weather!
    And, yeah, looking back,
    Chili was on that heatmat for the whole time before she had the little ones!
    Anji

ya especially for the larger one that a 30 gal tank may require but it sounds like i should get a bulb that doesnt put out too much heat and try and keep the temp on 1 side at maybe high 70's
    it is currently like 67-68 degrees in the apartment and it can get quite cool at night in here so maybe a infrared heat lamp?

If you have a basking area that gets close up to the light... I would use like a 75 watter. If its some distance from the light to the cage bottom... I would use a 100 watter to one far side in a 30 gallon. Is it a 30 long or high? Be careful that the light fixure does not focus the heat into a supertight beam when using high wattage, it can possibly burn your garter if they get too close to the light and lay in one spot for too long.

actually i forgot to ask so i am hoping it is a high cuz i know garters like to climb