Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Looking for suggestions for my first garter :)

So like I said in my introduction post, I'm looking into getting a garter, or a few if I find a couple I'm in love with. However I know almost nothing about the different species, so I was hoping you could help me out. So far I have two corn snakes, but I have worked with ribbon snakes, garters, boas, and other larger snakes.
    I would really like at least one garter that is blue, I was looking at the neon blue red side, or a blue stripe, but correct me if I'm way off. I would also be interested in other colors, I'm convincible.

I would like something that isn't too aggressive, aggressive when held is okay, I just want to be able to do stuff in the tank without it flipping out too much.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Re: Looking for suggestions for my first garter :)

Red-sided and similis (blue-stripe) have a bit of a reputation for being bitey compared to the other species, but they're not so bad that you can't handle them or do anything in their cages.
    The other options for blue garters are Florida Blue Easterns (sirtalis) or Puget Sound garters. Pugets are probably the bluest.

I'm partial to blue easterns though
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

I have a pair of blue stripes (similis) from Scott Felzer. Not sure if it is his line or just the individuals, but mine are extremely calm. Very easy to handle and not flighty in the least. Plenty of gorgeous blue tones. Truly an amazing subspecies. They feed well and grow quickly! I wholeheartedly recommend them.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

I've looked at his website, I'm not sure how else I would get them around here, don't see garters at pet stores, or breeders. I've never even seen them at the reptile expos I'm kind of nervous about having live animals shipped...

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

Shipping isn't a problem. If the weather is decent and the shipper does things properly, there is nothing to worry about. The snakes just bunker down and endure the ride.

As for breeders, Scott is great. You can also check out the websites of Don Belnap, and Jeff Benfer. Not sure what they're producing, but they're great people!
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

Thanks for the suggestions

I'm probably going to wait for it to get a bit warmer here before I get anything shipped. I have to nail down exactly what I want anyway.
    I'm think if I'm going to get them shipped I'll get more then one, maybe a pair of one type and then one other.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AngelOtter View Post
    I would like something that isn't too aggressive, aggressive when held is okay, I just want to be able to do stuff in the tank without it flipping out too much.
    I don't think you need to worry about aggression... Hands up anyone that has a garter that is so aggressive that you can't change it's water or rearrange stuff in the viv without getting bitten.
    I've had two bites in 18 months, one of them drew a pin-prick of blood. And I've not been musked by any of mine for around a year now.

I don't have any blue, but if I was looking for blue I'd be going for a blue line of pickeringii.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

There a few blue Garters like similis,Florida Blues(a locality of T.s.sirtalis),blue phase concinnus and pickeringii. If youre just going for colouration,nothing beats a Konishur Island Ratsnake but garters personality beats prettier colours anyday so I suggest you get both -those ratties are crackin snakes too! ^_^
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by AngelOtter View Post
    Really that's down to you . Any snake has the potential to be aggressive, you'll have to lay the groundwork and build up the snake's trust/confidence to your interactions with it.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Thanks everyone, I'm aware that they are able to musk and that bites are not a big deal (I've been bitten many times by wild garters), I just didn't want a species known for being super aggressive. I handle my animals often, and have no issues with having to work on "taming" them. I'm working on that right now with my water dragon.
    Also I'm not just looking for coloring, I'm interested in other garters that are not blue, I just want one of them to be blue So don't use that as a constraint.
    Right now, I have:
    pickeringii
    similis
    sirtalis
    thamnophis
    as options, am I missing any?