Thread: Shedding

Juvenile snake

Shedding

Wow it's been a long time since I've been on here. Life's been rather busy what with expecting our first son to arrive in a few weeks

Anyways, to the point. I know this question has been asked before but I'm not the greatest at searching forums. How often do Garter snakes shed? The only reason I ask is Sku (Eastern Ribbon) who I've had since last October has only shed twice. As opposed to Guido (T. Radix) who is preparing for his third shed in the past four months or so. I'm not so much worried about Guido because he's typically pretty active and is out and about in his tank most days while Sku seems more inclined to hide in his favorite coconut hide. Should I be worried or am I just being paranoid?
    Patrick and sometimes Bethany

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: Shedding

As long as they are shedding at some point, and growing, and acting normally, eating, etc... I would not worry. They shed when they have to, or when a seasonal change occurs, and no more. Growing babies shed a LOT and then others will only shed a few times a year. Some of my adult garters shed all the time, and others it's rare for them to shed except other than a seasonal time for it, such as pre-baby brithing, post brumation... etc.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Re: Shedding

I think Shannon said it very well. I'd get worried if Sku wasn't eating, wasn't coming out, bathing,shedding. As long as these things are happening things should be good.
    Glad to here Guido is doing well. He comes from a very social group and has had much interaction. Tell him old Dad says hello.
    I wish you the best with your up coming birth. Children are a blessing and make all else in life seem unimportant. Your family is in our prayers. God Bless.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee