Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Baby Garter Snakes

Here's my story. Found a nest, 6 to 10 inches. Took one to my grandaughter (3 1/2). She loved it; lost it in the car. Brought her three more; found the first one; put them in a large plastic box with sand. She liked one with a yellow belly and yellow neck ring best, and after it bit her, learned to be much more gentle. We knew nothing about garter snakes; gave them worms, bugs and such. one day there were only two. The largest looked placid, the smaller quite active. "Yellow-Bellow" was gone, I assume devoured. Not wanting more trauma, she let them go, but missed them so badly, I found her another small one, bought a terrarium- the cat ate it. I found one about 2 feet long; it shed, and while I was trying to figure out whether to try and keep it (it's late in the year) out came babies. I'm assuming the young would take to captivity more easily, but I'm out of my depth. I need advice, on food, hibernation, etc. Should I release the mother? Should we keep one baby, some, or all? One (of six) opened its mouth wide when I picked it up. Does this indicate hunger or aggression? The mother has not fed in 4 days and shows no interest in superworms or pinky mice. Would appreciate greatly any and all feedback.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

Re: Baby Garter Snakes

o class ended someone help him
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Welcome aboard, Richard.

The one with the yellow belly and yellow neck ring, was a ringneck snake and it is notoriously difficult to keep alive. And when garters open their mouth, it's a sign of aggression. Proper food for a newborn, is earthworms, pieces of fish and mouse parts. No hibernation is needed. Sand is not a good substrate. In fact, check out the care sheet: http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets...ake_Care_Sheet

My advice might not be the kind you want to hear: Let all of them go and start over. First find out how to care for them, then buy a captive bred one.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Welcome Richard! I don't have all of your answers, but I'm a preschool teacher so have a little insight into 3 1/2 year olds Is mommy snake calm when held? Can your granddaughter hold her easily, preferably only with an adult nearby?(might want to put a lock on the tank) Is your granddaughter living with you? If not, are her parents willing to care for her new pet(s)? The babies are going to be too hard for your granddaughter to handle herself... they're just too quick and too squirmy. They're also pretty fragile, but I'd be more worried about their speed and unpredictable nature. If the adult is mellow and good natured I'd be inclined to keep mommy and release the babies. The only trouble there is that she's wild caught and likely to want to hibernate over the winter which doesn't leave your granddaughter a very exciting pet for several months. I wouldn't worry about mom not eating yet. She probably just needs time to settle down, but there are lots of things to think about in the meantime Once we get the answers to the above questions we can better guide you. I think it's awesome that you're fostering your granddaughter's love of snakes, though! Sounds like you're a very caring and involved grandfather & she's a lucky little girl to have you!
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Greetings ... you'll get all the information you'll ever need here. I would be inclined to aggree with Stefan though. As a novice a captive bred snake would be the better choice to serve as an intro to the hobby
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Welcome!! Glad you found this forum, there is a wealth of info here. :-) I also have to agree with Stefan.... release what you have, do some more research, and then find an already started captive bred snake. You will be setting the stage for a much more successful and enjoyable experience. And after reading through the care sheet, feel free to fire away questions at us!!
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

Welcome to the forum, Richard. The replies so far have offered good advise, so nothing to add. Any specfic questions, just fire away.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Aundrea's Avatar

Welcome Richard. Hey thats my bf's name LOL.

I dont know what you can do but if you do start over look into Dekayi's also LOL. They are also nice snakes and are small
    1 Ball Python Spenser
    2 Dekayi's Bennie, Max
    1 Ornate Boxie Turtle Lola
    1 Baby Russian Tortoise Lilly
    1 Beagle Dog Maycee

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Hello, and welcome!
    Anji

Hello and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan
    My advice might not be the kind you want to hear: Let all of them go and start over. First find out how to care for them, then buy a captive bred one.

I have to agree, A well started captive is a far better choice. Stick around, you will be "garter savvy" in no time