Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Multi-species housing...

What do you guys feel on multi-species housing?
    I've kept similar species of plated lizards together with no problems, and they belong to the same genus. Does that mean you could keep Thamnophis garters if they are similar in feeding and behavior habits? Aside from the fact that you could have two cross-breed or cannibalize (which you would have the risk of with multi-snake housing anyways), I don't see anything else wrong with it...

Re: Multi-species housing...

I'm not entirely against it, as long they have the same requirements and don't cause each other stress or physical harm.

I don't see a problem with it as long as all of their needs are met. A good example of species that would go together well would be maritime and eastern garters since they are almost the same thing.
    1.1.1 T.p.orarius Gulf Coast Ribbon
    1.0 T.e.vagrans Wandering Garter

Shine on you crazy diamond

BTW, overall, I prefer multi-snake housing for garters. They're VERY social.

I don't see a problem with multi-species housing if, as Stefan says, the requirements are the same and the snakes are of similar size. Although personally I never do it, I couldn't really say why, I just don't. All my species and sub-species are housed separately from each other.

I don't think it's true to say Garters are very social, or even at all social. They brumate en-masse and form breeding aggregations, but then they lead solitary lives, as other snakes do.
    James.

Actually, there I have to disagree with you. Often when I go searching for garters here in MI, I either find them basking together, a few feet away, or huddled curled up under the same long when there was plenty more space underneath. Once I was looking for snakes on a rainy July day and went to grab for what I thought was one snakes, but was actually a trio consisting of 2 females and a male!

Perhaps it's just T. s. sirtalis that does this, as this is the only snake I've had this experience with... Actually, I have found northern water snakes together as well, but this was probably because it was their only safe basking spot...

I know it sounds as though I'm 'splitting hairs', and I apologise for that.... but they are only found together in such situations because the 'spot' is suitable for whatever reason. This doesn't illustrate any form of social interplay between individuals. They don't care if they're alone or there's another snake there. They just both found a good spot to bask/hide/feed or whatever.
    James.

You really think so? Do you think they don't get some sort of comfort from a companion? And I'm also not arguing, just seriously asking. But I always assume all animals crave companionship. It's sad to think that my two garters and two balls aren't really "cuddling" but just taking up the same space... don't you think they enjoy the touch of their own kind??
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

I still find it ironic that they'd be in the exact same spot for the exact same reason. I guess you can look at it like being in school:
    Any two given people can be picked out in a class, and you could say that they're friends, when in reality, they would just be in the same place because they have to. However, the might actually be friends.
    Very controversial. Some one should do a study like they did with group decisions in cockroaches...