Stink'in minnows

Okay, I know about Thiaminase. As a treat to my Radixs they get some Fathead minnows once in a great while(once every couple a months). They otherwise get pinkies, worms, salmon. Tonight was a treat night for them. My TLC group are small so I cut the minnows up. While I was dishing out some parts I saw this in the food dish. Round worms I believe. Now, I feel terribly guilty. Should have frozen them for a month. Better yet not even have bought them. Thought I post a photo.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Re: Stink'in minnows

Steve, I wish I knew... Fatheads are rubbish, and I would never feed them to anything.

Flash frozen Tilapia, Salmon and pinkies is the safest and most reliable way to avoid such worms.

Bait shop minnows are farmed in huge clusters in rather unfiltered water, usually in big galvanized livestock troughs or tanks in less than optimal conditions.

Get a tank set up and buy 100 feeder guppies, Oh I forgot, YOU get 250 feeder guppies, and after one feeding you will still have a couple left

They are easy to breed, and Steve is in control of the water quality, and such.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

THat's one of the only things that sucks about fish.... even when you breed your own... you can never know if there are worms present or not... until you cut em up!! I have popped many a flat worm out of feeder fish at my store to save whatever animals may end up eating them down the road... they look like a little lump growing out of the fish's skin... then you cut it and pop em out and they squirm.... UGH.

round worms are bad news, I hope that your garters fare alright!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

I think breeding my own Dace would be a good option.

I have a few, my blackneck included that require a live fish to trigger any feeding at all.

Yes, that looks like a roundworm. Fortunately, the cure is a drug that has a very high safety level and a very low toxicity. It goes by some of the following names:

Strongid
    Pyrantel Pamoate
    Evict

Check with a vet for doseages.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Quote Originally Posted by KITKAT View Post
    Yes, that looks like a roundworm. Fortunately, the cure is a drug that has a very high safety level and a very low toxicity. It goes by some of the following names:

Pyrantel Pamoate

I use to give this to people for their dogs all the time when I was working as a vet tech....very good stuff.

but...the people weren't necessarily as smart as the dogs....I would get frantic calls....oh my god!! there's worms coming out of my dog!!! what do I do???? um.....clean them up and toss the mess out...they are out of your dog...duh!!!!!