Hi, I'm New Here!

Reluctant eaters update

I have a bit of good news for anybody whose snakes are not eating & getting worried about it. My 2 snakes stopped eating gradually over about 3 weeks & then stopped for nearly 3 months. During that time they never stopped being livley, lost a little weight but never got too skinny. i checked for mites, dug my microscope out from when I was a kid & checked for parasites. I offered food on regular basis every 3 days then every week. Tried worms, all different fish in different sizes, hot, cold, in water, out of water, everything. Eventually, one day i put 4 live tadpoles, within 5 mins they'd all gone. didn't feel good aboutit being live prey but then I remembered the 9 years I fed crickets to my geckos!
    they'are both eating well & have for a couple of months on strips of salmon. One has become very greedy, yesterday ate at least 5 strips twice the length of the head & one & a half time the width. The only thing i did do was add a natural daylight tube, i've 2 books that say garters don't need this however i'm more than convinced this has helped.

Re: Reluctant eaters update

I think it also has to do with time of year. I almost always have my snakes start to go off food now, in the summer. They will eat sporadically and then not at all during the winter months, maybe late November thru January. No one has been worse for wear and have resumed eating on their own. I always offer food every few days in case they might be interested. This is my 3rd summer now with all of these snakes, so I do not get worried any longer.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2many View Post
    This is my 3rd summer now with all of these snakes, so I do not get worried any longer.
    Yeah, right. Your a mom and I know you still worry.
    It's in your DNA.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Okay, but I don't let them see/know that I'm worried. I sit and type those thoughts out on this forum!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I've always found that mine really picks up eating starting about spring and going through fall, then starts to eat a lot less during the winter. We don't use any extra heat sources though, so maybe it's just a reaction to the seasons changing?
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis