Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best diet?

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Best diet?

Jumping around to different threads I have noticed that many on this site prefer to use a mixture of food items other than rodents. I was curious to see if it is a convenience and cost issue, or a health issue? If all I feed my garters is pinkies, are they missing out on something they need?

-Thomas

Re: Best diet?

Feeding them rodents is the most convenient, but also the most expensive alternative. A mixed diet is hopefully going to prevent health problems caused by a lack of calcium, the presence of thiaminase (in uncertain cases), or excess fat. Some do consider rodents to contain too much fat and it's been said that pinkies don't contain enough calcium. Right now, all of my garters run on rodents, because I'd like to fatten them up after the winter.

It's all three, I suppose. Convenience, cost and health issues.

I use a varied diet (approx. 50% fish, 45% rodent, 5% earthworm) for several reasons;
    Cost must be a consideration, and pinkies are expensive. Pinkies are indeed high in fat and low in calcium. Earthworms may contain essential trace elements not found in the other two foods.

I hope that providing a varied diet I am 'covering all the bases'.
    James.

And_Lyn

I hate to hijack this thread...but where can earthworms be bought that are acceptable to feed to garters? A bait store?

-Lyndsey

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by And_Lyn View Post
    I hate to hijack this thread...but where can earthworms be bought that are acceptable to feed to garters? A bait store?

-Lyndsey
    I have wondered that myself.

It isn't a problem for me to offer a varried diet so I guess it is better safe than sorry, I had just always heard that pinkies with the backend dipped in a quality calcium powder was a complete diet. Another question I have is about the type of fish. It drives me nuts when I hear pet stores recommend goldfish but how many other fish fit into the same category? I breed Platties and find it cost effective and fast just to scoop some out and put them on a dish, I also fish a lot and really do not like fish at all so I could give them trout slices. Are Platties a safe fish to feed to Garters? Which is better between the two?

-Thomas

I use trout and salmon, nothing else. There are undoubtedly other safe fishes, but there seems to be a constant debate as to which are safe, which are unsafe and which are almost nearly maybe safe. Trout and salmon are safe without question, they're also nutritionally good (maybe a little fatty), easily obtainable, cheap......
    James.

And_Lyn

And where can earthworms be bought?

P.S. I use powdered cuttlefish bone and a good quality multi-vitamin supplement approx. every fourth feeding.
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by MasSalvaje View Post
    Are Platties a safe fish to feed to Garters?
    If I remember correctly, they aren't.

I use rainbow trout and vendace, both known to be safe. This summer I'm going catch a few perch and see if the snakes find them acceptable.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I have veered toward a varied diet consisting of fishes (salmon, trout, guppies, blacknose dace, silversides), earthworms, frog legs and rodents. A few months ago I went fishing and we were using chicken gizzards, when we got done we still had a bunch left... and we had nothing to do with them, so i offered them to the garters, can you beleive every single one of them loved it and they are none the worse for wear. Variation is key... I have have seen way too many obese adult garter snakes at shows fed on purely mice... it makes me sick to look at them. Many snake keepers just see it as a convenience to feed them what all of their other snakes are eating. I only use rodents about twice a month now... my garters, eat twice per week, sometimes three depending on if i get bored on some random day and decide they would like a treat. They are all robust, healthy, fast growing snakes! Garters can easily live their entire life on just safe fishes and earthworms, just remember to supplement vitamins and calcium! Trout is my favorite, salmon is my second, and I'll only use tilapia in my gelatin mixture if they don't have trout. The gelatin mixture is actually a complete diet in it's own, complete with calcium and vitamin supplement, but i still prefer to vary it up. They don't need the rodents, they are just convenient to use is all. Honestly, there is no bonafide 'best" diet, what works for me doesn't work for everyone else. you just need to ensure that the snakes are growing, maintaining weight, pooping normally and are overall healthy individuals.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!