Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cage

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

Cage

im planning on making a 5 high 48"x24"x12" cages 1 pair of garters in three of them and the other two im planning on putting one nic. red tail in each, do you think 12" is high enough for the boa?
    thanks,
    Reed
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

Re: Cage

I don't think so, not for an adult. I know some people keep them in pretty small cages, but personally I've never been a fan of the "absolute minimum" philosophy.

I admit I don't know much about boas, but isn't Boa constrictor at least semi-arboreal?

Basilisk (The King of all Serpents) enigma200316's Avatar

yes Stefan, and if your going to make a cage it should be high enough to put branches and stuff to climb on so to speak.......I'd say 3-4 feet atleast....
    Justin

I must agree... 12" high is totally inadequate for a boa.... in fact it's not much for any snake, Reed.
    James.

alright didnt think so i was just checking because if it was 12" i could put 5 but i guess ill do 24" and just do three, what do you think about the length and width for the nic. red tail? females r around 4-5' and males are around 3'-4'
    Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    I must agree... 12" high is totally inadequate for a boa.... in fact it's not much for any snake, Reed.

i dont like giving them the absolute minimum either(thats why im making my pairs of garter 4'x2' enclosures, but my friend has an adult red tail thats like 10' (i think he keeps it in a 8'x'4x'2' and it seems to do fine, never really see it moving unless its food time
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    I don't think so, not for an adult. I know some people keep them in pretty small cages, but personally I've never been a fan of the "absolute minimum" philosophy.

I admit I don't know much about boas, but isn't Boa constrictor at least semi-arboreal?

also is 4'x'2x2' good for a red ackie pair?

A list of the things I hope to build:
    ok been doing some research, i'm gunna make 3 4'x2'x2' cages(stacked) 2 for nic. boas and maybe 1 for a pair of red ackies or just all three for the boas, then 4 4'x2'x18" cages(stacked) for my garters(im hoping to make them great enclosures), is that enough room for a trio?, and i went to get mice at the store today and i held a crested gecko and i love them! there sooo cute and soft and have great personalities so im thinking about breeding some after a couple months of research and im planning to make 6 1'x1'x2" enclosures (a pair in each one) stacked 2 or three high, I also hope to also make 2-3 panther chameleon enclosures(i haven't designed any yet though), also with enough enclosures to hold 8-12 adult garters ill probably make a bin for breeding earthworms (and its also a great place to put rotten food), and with all the insect eating things i to get ill be needing to make a cockroach bin/cage thing, and from craigslist i hope to get a tank and start breeding platies, and then lastly build some mouse breeding bins and buy a used freedom breeder cb-70 rack for my Hondurans and future ball pythons

of course these are all plans and most likely will take a couple years(2-4ish) to see through but i think it will be worth it

also: i have not worked with boas, chameleons, or crested geckos (though i do have some experience with leopards) so i will be doing lots of reaserch before i purchase the actual animal

sounds good reed, excited to see how everything turns out.
    Quadruple Sport Enthusiast
    Wrestling
    Track
    Soccer
    Cross Country

Basilisk (The King of all Serpents) enigma200316's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reed_Kamsler View Post
    i dont like giving them the absolute minimum either(thats why im making my pairs of garter 4'x2' enclosures, but my friend has an adult red tail thats like 10' (i think he keeps it in a 8'x'4x'2' and it seems to do fine, never really see it moving unless its food time

the 8x4 foot for a 10 foot snake is a bit cramped really and 2 foot high is sub-standard really........and the reason it doesn't move is do to a few things, one is the ground area is a little cramped, two it needs highth with branches and limbs to climb on, three they are more active at night.....

so what I'm trying to say is they need a huge encolsure to be healthy and normal, one like your friends will do, but its not what it should be..........

now for a snake that is say 5 foot that would be good except for the highth it should be higher.............
    Justin