Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cold tolarance difference

At this time I have 2 different garter snakes in brumation. T.radix(plains garter snake) and T.s.parietalis(red-sided garter snake). My fridge is set at 42 degrees(6.11C) The temp is taken from the top shelf. Tonight it was time to check on water supplies and give them the quick once-over. I first checked in on the radix girls. First, I make sure there isn't too much moisture, then I check on them. I look for tongue flicking as a good sign that they are fine. My female radixes were moving in slow motion and so were the tongue flicks. My albino flattened her head and body and wanted to be left alone.
    My t.s.p's were next. They are sitting on the very bottom of the compartment. When I opened the lid I saw both large females moving quickly and the tongue flicking was close to normal speed.
    I find this very interesting since the bottom of the fridge should be colder than the top. Which means the snakes should be moving slower, right. Not the case here. I know that this is far from scientific but apparently T.s.parietalis can tolerate colder temps. than T.radix. I'm guessing this is because they range much farther north than T.radix. I have since started reading temps at the bottom. I don't have a reading yet.
    I wonder? Should I brumate the parietalis at a lower temp.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Re: Cold tolarance difference

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I'm guessing this is because they range much farther north than T.radix
    I would say that their range goes farther North because they can tolerate the colder temps, not the other way around.

Should I brumate the parietalis at a lower temp.
    I do not have experience with the parietalis but I would think that they would do just fine in the same temps as the radix. I know they have been documented at the same dens so I can't imagine them needing different temps.

-Thomas

Steve, I've noticed the same thing
    my parietalis are active in the mid-forty range
    and I don't brumate garters from different regions the same any more
    it makes to me, that the brumation needs for a parietalis would be different from a concinnus or a marcianus, at the extremes, but yes, they're even noticeably different from other northern occurring (sub-)species like sirtalis and radix
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Banned

Hmmm... 42 seems lower than necessary. Sure, they can tolerate it but it's not necessary to go that low to get a breeding response in the spring. I know they are not the same but my concinnus bred with nothing less than 50 degrees for 4 months. I lost a few young ones by going down to around 40. And I'm sure you already know this, but even after surviving brumation it's the warm up that will kill them if it happens too fast. This seems to be especially true if you take them to their lower limits.

It doesn't matter if we have weeks of temperatures in the teens, if you go about 2 feet underground the temperature is around 50.

Never shed

I was wondering about that,My wine cooler/garter garden spot is set on 50,it's in the garage so the temp varies from 45 to 55,try to keep it close to 50, the natural temp for underground around here is about 59,but I figure that is too warm and their metabolic rate will be to high? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanx

Banned

I already told you my opinion, but yeah. Around 50 for 3 months and one more month that slowly warms to 60 is pretty easy on them and it does induce breeding once things warm to 75 or so. And I don't know about you guys but my concinnus always ate first, then shed, and immediately after the shed is when the magic starts.

I still believe that what is appropriate for concinnus may not be for parietalis - it's a different climate region
    I just checked my sun porch, and at 46ºF my parietalis male is trying to figure out how he can get over into the girl tank for some fun
    I don't know whether they need it that cold, but my sun porch set-up needs more heat to maintain temps at 50º than at 46º - it's an economic issue for me
    with that in mind, I've already brought in the concinnus and put them in an unheated indoor tank in a mid-60ies range area of the house, and the marcis never went outside
    the sirtalis I've got out there right now are less active in those low temps, but the female not by much
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

correct that - my particular easterns are much less active than the parietalis at colder temps; in addition they require more water
    at 48º the easterns disappear into the damp hide or coil up in the water bowl
    at 44º the parietalis are still cruising around and eyeing each other through the glass, but they are moving more slowly
    kind of reminds me of this article I read not too long ago: The last word: Five minutes in the Arctic Ocean - THE WEEK
    rhea

Very interesting reading. Thanks for the link.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

here's another interesting article - not about snakes either
    Remarkable Creatures - For Some Animals, Built-In Antifreeze Beats a Winter Coat - NYTimes.com
    rhea