Thread: Brumation

Brumation

Tomorrow my garters are going into my hibernaculum for the next 3 1/2 months. They go in on November 1st and come out on Valentines Day (they should breed...love is in the air). I will brumate them in a temperature controlled wine cooler. I set the temp to 51 degrees but it fluctuates from 45 degrees to 53 degrees (temperatures fluctuate in the wild so not really that concerned about it). Some will go in late (end of November) due to late arrival. I have some people out there who I'm ordering snakes from to pair up with my current snakes. Any last minute tips?

photo-4.jpg

That is a picture of my Thamnophis proximus brumating. Only problem...I have to get a male, I'm currently brumating 2 females. That's how the brumation setup is with all of my snakes. Tell me any improvements you have. The bedding I'm using is CareFresh. Usually used for small mammals, but can be used for snakes (not harmful to them).
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Re: Brumation

My only concern would be the lack of quarantine on the new arrivals.
    Brumation is obviously not a substitute for quarantine.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    My only concern would be the lack of quarantine on the new arrivals.
    Brumation is obviously not a substitute for quarantine.

Oh no, I make sure that all the ones I get are healthy. If they seem the SLIGHTEST bit off or unhealthy, or underweight, no doubt in my mind they don't enter brumation. I always ask for pictures before I buy, and that will tell me about their weight. ALL WILD CAUGHT SNAKES THAT I CATCH GO THROUGH A MONTH LONG QUARANTINE BEFORE ENTERING MY MAIN COLLECTION.
    -Greg

You aren't always going to be able to see problems that they have. When I had mites I didn't notice them for a few weeks. At that point they have already spread throughout your entire collection.
    I would quarantine anything either cb or wc for a three month period. I wouldn't recommend putting snakes straight in to brumation. Even the ones you are getting from me. I know my snakes are perfectly healthy and eating well, but you want them to eat for you first and know their feeding habits so that you are able to determine when something is off.
    I would recommend just quarantining for two months or so and doing a late brumation with anything you are just getting in now. That is my opinion and other people may have different techniques that have worked for them.
    Tyler
    www.checkeredgarter.com

Quote Originally Posted by twgrosmick View Post
    You aren't always going to be able to see problems that they have. When I had mites I didn't notice them for a few weeks. At that point they have already spread throughout your entire collection.
    I would quarantine anything either cb or wc for a three month period. I wouldn't recommend putting snakes straight in to brumation. Even the ones you are getting from me. I know my snakes are perfectly healthy and eating well, but you want them to eat for you first and know their feeding habits so that you are able to determine when something is off.
    I would recommend just quarantining for two months or so and doing a late brumation with anything you are just getting in now. That is my opinion and other people may have different techniques that have worked for them.
    So basically what you're saying is I'm good, just any that come in late, should be quarantined (for 2 months) and then go into brumation late and come out of brumation late?
    -Greg