Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face new to the site....possibly pregnant

hey to everyone..... I have two snakes. I eastern green female and I thought that the other was a female albino checkered... as you can see in the pic that... well the albino appears to be male.... This is the first spring for the snakes.... would the green be able to get pregnant this young? Oh yeah,.... and both snakes are about 20 inches long, and healthy. Green has an prrox birth month of may 08 and the albino has an approx birth months of july/aug 08.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: new to the site....possibly pregnant

Are you sure they aren't both checkered garters? Anyway, I find it improbable, but not by any means impossible that it might result in a pregnancy. So I recommend separating the two.

I'd say those are both checkered garters...
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

I got them both from Petco last year... I purchased the Green in 09/08 and they called her an Eastern Green, and then I puchased the Albino in 10/08 and they called "him?" an Albino Checkered. Was I told incorrectly?
    The Albino is very docile and will chill with me four hours out side of the tank, and has even been taken to my son's preschool for a demonstration, and never once showed any signs of stress. Awesome snake. I am just worried if the Green would be pregnent now? I have had both of the snakes in a 35 gallon tank, and they have done quite well like that, and then for two weeks straight the albino bothered the green (in the pic). So I finally got a piece of plexiglass and seperated the tank long wise.... Then today I took both of them outside in their little 10 gallon tank that I use just for that purpose and the albino did not even bother the green. So if he inseminated her... would he then quit bothering her..... Oh yeah... Green is "Hudina" and the Albino was called Little Lady, before all of this drama and now is called "Little Dude"

Thanks for the correction... I guess Petco did not know what they were selling me... and I have no idea what the difference is. I do know that they are pretty tight little snakes.... Question... If they are both Checkered and one is Albino.. Would I get more albinos or would the babies come out green?

TwistidMutations

Those are both checkereds,and i had an 07 female checkered breed in 08 and she had a litter of 3. So its very possible that she will take,But i would seperate them

Quote Originally Posted by TwistidMutations View Post
    Those are both checkereds,and i had an 07 female checkered breed in 08 and she had a litter of 3. So its very possible that she will take,But i would seperate them
    I just recently did and now "litle dude" is not even interested in "hudina"

Quote Originally Posted by k2l3d4 View Post
    Thanks for the correction... I guess Petco did not know what they were selling me... and I have no idea what the difference is. I do know that they are pretty tight little snakes.... Question... If they are both Checkered and one is Albino.. Would I get more albinos or would the babies come out green?
    The babies will come out looking green, but will heterozygous "het" for albino.
    Meaning their alleles will be "Aa", as opposed to "AA" in the green female and "aa" in the albino male.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

I agree that both do look like Checkered Garters and welcome to the forum. You'll find loads of info here.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Those are both t. marcianus, you can clearly see the neck and head pattern indicative of that species!! so be ready for a litter of miniature Ms. Greens!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!