Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who'da Thunk?

In Hog Heaven

Who'da Thunk?

My friends, I hope you're sitting down when you read this. You're never gonna believe it. Maybe. But mother love is probably the strongest emotion on earth - I think. Even stronger than hate.

So, Kenabec is back at the breeder's for 'reconditioning' from live pinkies back to f/t. It will be awhile before he comes home, I've been warned because this could take as long as two months. Okay. What has to happen has to happen.

Niizh, the love of my life, hadn't eaten in about 4-5 weeks. He's been active and ramblin' and moving - and even going up on his mopani log since I got him that moss that he just loves!

I was starting to get a wee bit worried, but not much since the guy is totally fine and I know it. But I didn't want this to go on too much longer.

You're never gonna believe this... *I* - Yours truly - broke down and bought a LIVE PINKIE for Niizh. I couldn't bear it if Niizh had to go away from me. I couldn't be without him.

I just told them what I wanted and went and hid. Never saw it. They put it in the bag and I never had to pick it out or anything. If I had, I couldn't have done it.

When home, I just opened the bag, turned my head away and let it fall into Niizh' deli cup. I then covered the deli cup with a cloth so I couldn't see it, brought it in here, put Niizh in it and put it back on his hot spot in the tank.

Yeah. I watched. Oh! It was so smalll and wee and trying to lift it's head... I was just beside myself. Niizh licked its butt, sniffed it's face, and buried UNDER it, lifting it up... And then lost interest.

I took Niizh out - he really wanted out - and put the cloth back on the deli cup so I couldn't see the poor thing and start bawling. I can't help it! I just love all animals and while my head tells me one thing, my heart breaks at the thought of death for any reason.

Before I went to bed, I put Niizh back in and recovered the deli cup with a cloth.

This AM Niizh was alone in the deli cup. Sleeping the sleep of a fat well fed Hoglette. Snoring to beat the band.

I got my kid fed and didn't have to see it.

I'm exhausted!
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

Re: Who'da Thunk?

Trust me MK your not the first person to have felt that way.

It gets a little better in time, really it does.

Skin gets a little thicker each time.

In Hog Heaven

(((((Dekay))))) Thanks. I hope I never have to do it again, though. I wouldn't mind having mice as pettlettes. I want a chipmunk so bad I try to think up box and stick traps that would work at the park!

At any rate, My Love is fat and happy and that's all that matters. How I feel is secondary.

Oh Gertie you are stronger than myself!!! I bout lost it when you started talking bout how it was trying to hold it's head up. It still erk's me out when I have to cut up a big nightcrawler for Olive!

Zoe

In Hog Heaven

Oh, Zoe! I'm not really all that strong. The strong are like Lori... Cry me a river, she even breeds COCKROACHES.

I was where you are only about five months ago. And I swore I'd never do live. And I didn't when I had my breeder to fall back on. I mean, I still have him to fall back on, but there is no way I could send Niizh away for a day, let alone two months or longer. With Kenabec, eh. He's always been way more reticent than Niizh and I've not bonded to Kenabec like I have Niizh. Only the fear of having to send Niizh off to be 'reconditioned' - and the fact I didn't have to really look at the thing - allowed me to do it.

Don't read the thread about is breeding feeder mice for you, or whatever it's called. *I* couldn't handle it. You'd prolly pass out and fall outta your computer chair!

Thanks, Sweetie. But I'm not near as strong as you think I am. I'm really a cry-baby wuusie.

Thank's for the warning I would not make it through it!!!!! I to am a huge softy!!! I can't even kill bugs that get into the house, and I live out in the country. I just share with them.

Zoe

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

man.... you really like mice eh? I like mice and all, but my philosophy is that I also love my snakes, and my rats, mice, and other living things are what they eat. I view a snake going for it's prey not with sadness... but fascination!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

It's a high hurtle, but we all have to climb it eventually.
    Excellent work, mum.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

In Hog Heaven

I think I stated my outlook pretty well. While my head can comprehend, my heart has a difficult time dealing with it. I simply revere and find fascinating all life - even stupid hissing cockroaches, but I don't like them.

I don't view Niizh eating with sadness and I never said that. I truly love watching my kids eat - f/t because they're already dead.

I was happy Niizh did eat and I didn't have to see it. It's hard for me to see death even when I understand the food chain. I work at a state park, remember. I deal with the food chain every time I'm there. But that doesn't mean I don't mourn each and every beautiful life that's lost.

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    man.... you really like mice eh? I like mice and all, but my philosophy is that I also love my snakes, and my rats, mice, and other living things are what they eat. I view a snake going for it's prey not with sadness... but fascination!

In Hog Heaven

Thanks, Zephie. Hope I don't have to get into this habit.