Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smelt???

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Smelt???

I was at the grocery store today... and I was looking for frog legs and I came across a bag of smelt... which I had no idea that they sold!!! There are like 50 of them in this bag and they are whole (there were even eggs in one) except for their heads are cut off. The bag was like $4... and they are about 4 inches long each... this is quite a bargain... and my garters LOVED them!!! Even the picky eaters who normally only will accept live fish were eating pieces of these. My water snakes adored them even more!

For those unfamiliar... smelt are a litle freshwater fish that are shaped much like minnows. Basically I am writing this thread to ask... does anyone else use these? Is this bargain too good to be true? They don't contain thiaminase... right?!?! A dozen of live bait fish this size at cabela's cost's 5 or 6 bucks... so getting like 50 of them for $4 is heaven for me!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Re: Smelt???

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    I was at the grocery store today... and I was looking for frog legs and I came across a bag of smelt... which I had no idea that they sold!!! There are like 50 of them in this bag and they are whole (there were even eggs in one) except for their heads are cut off. The bag was like $4... and they are about 4 inches long each... this is quite a bargain... and my garters LOVED them!!! Even the picky eaters who normally only will accept live fish were eating pieces of these. My water snakes adored them even more!

For those unfamiliar... smelt are a litle freshwater fish that are shaped much like minnows. Basically I am writing this thread to ask... does anyone else use these? Is this bargain too good to be true? They don't contain thiaminase... right?!?! A dozen of live bait fish this size at cabela's cost's 5 or 6 bucks... so getting like 50 of them for $4 is heaven for me!
    not sure if they contain thiaminase.....should check for the scientific name and then check the link in the articles page..has a listing of which do and which don't.... not a bad deal tho if they don't!!!!

Smelt are of the Osmeridae family. According to what I could find on the web, through the link provided they are high in Thiaminase. Sounds like Ocean Perch and trout are safe. Not sure how that prices out. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by guidofatherof5; 11-04-2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: additional info.

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Smelt are of the Osmeridae family. According to what I could find on the web, through the link provided they are high in Thiaminase. Sounds like Ocean Perch and trout are safe. Not sure how that prices out. Hope it helps.
    ugh.

crap!

and my snakes have eaten some!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Smelt are of the Osmeridae family. According to what I could find on the web, through the link provided they are high in Thiaminase.
    It's true. The only exception I know of, is the European smelt.

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

one time wont hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    ugh.

crap!

and my snakes have eaten some!!!
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

Don't worry about one feeding and don't let those smelt go to waste. I saw a lot of recipes online. I've never eaten them but apparently many have. I'm going to check on the price of Ocean Perch in my area. I'll post when I find out.

"Second shed, A Success"

Back when I was a kid (30 years ago) I had some relatives that would go "schmeltin" every year. I remember helping clean dozens of 5 gallon pails full of these things. All you needed was a good pair of scissors. Snip the head off, run one blade down the gut, another snip and a quick scrape with the thumb and into the clean bucket they go. I had one uncle who was so fast he could do at least 5 or 6 to every one of mine. The best part was afterward though. Roll em in a little seasoned flour, drop em in a pot of boiling oil, fry em up for a bit and eat. Man, I'm hungry.

In Hog Heaven

That's how we eat them here, sschimd. Little snacklettes. I'm hungry, too!
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

ewwww.... they are so gross lol they still have some of their guts in them!! and eggs...