Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: A note concerning pre-packaged frozen fish

San Francisco Bay Brand® Sally's Frozen Silversides™ Tropical Fish Food - Marine Food - Featured Products - PetSmart
    ^This is what I feed mine. The ingredients say: Fish, water. I've been feeding them for about 2 months(as long as I've had him)and have had no trouble. I know other members(not sure who) feed these same brand as well, also with no issues...To my knowledge. My snake, personally, loves them

Off subject....But I've gotta know, do you like Static-X? Is that where you got your name from?
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

"First shed In Progress" xStatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProXimuS View Post
    San Francisco Bay Brand® Sally's Frozen Silversides™ Tropical Fish Food - Marine Food - Featured Products - PetSmart
    ^This is what I feed mine. The ingredients say: Fish, water. I've been feeding them for about 2 months(as long as I've had him)and have had no trouble. I know other members(not sure who) feed these same brand as well, also with no issues...To my knowledge. My snake, personally, loves them

Off subject....But I've gotta know, do you like Static-X? Is that where you got your name from?
    Thanks! I will pick up a package tonight. and sorry that's not my reasoning, it's just a username I've been using for many years haha originally it was xStaticStacia because I wanted my name in it but eventually I just shortened it to xStatic
    0.0.1 Albino Checkered Garter Snake 1.1.0 Corn Snakes 1.1.0 Rosy Boas 1.0.0 Ball Python 1.0.0 Crested Gecko 0.0.1 Northern Blue Tongue Skink

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xStatic View Post
    Thanks! I will pick up a package tonight. and sorry that's not my reasoning, it's just a username I've been using for many years haha originally it was xStaticStacia because I wanted my name in it but eventually I just shortened it to xStatic
    I bought those when the babies were small, but then stopped feeding them after I heard the scary fish causing seizures stories (which makes sense since it is a suspected neuro-toxin "Sodium tripolyphosphate, or STPP, is a suspected neurotoxin according to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health’s (NIOSH) Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances.). I believe those silversides say China on the label right? If I am remembering correctly they did.

I am calling both suppliers tomorrow to ask (I hope the ClearSprings Trout Farm doesn't use it).

Maybe this was already posted but here is an interesting flier on the dangers of this chemical and seafood: http://documents.foodandwaterwatch.org/doc/stpp.pdf

Not sure of this is possible but it might be a good idea to update the care sheet on here with some additional information on feeding fish. Other than advising not to feed fish containing thiaminase, there is no information about feeding frozen/packaged fish to your snakes. It seems to be a very confusing topic and obviously there are many on this site alone who aren't 100% sure or in agreement about what to do with fish. Feeding silversides seems to be very common on this forum, so either many people are unaware of the risks posed by this brand of frozen silversides, or any fear of feeding these has been blown out of proportion. If packaged fish can be deadly to snakes I think it is very important this information be added to a care sheet. The sticky thread has been very helpful but I'm worried this information has come too late for many people. I'm not sure if one meal of packaged fish could kill my snake but I know I would be devistated if it did, and I would like to think I don't fall under the category of "questionable keeper."
    0.0.1 Albino Checkered Garter Snake 1.1.0 Corn Snakes 1.1.0 Rosy Boas 1.0.0 Ball Python 1.0.0 Crested Gecko 0.0.1 Northern Blue Tongue Skink

I agree, it should be on the care sheet. I was here for a while before I heard about the seizure/sudden death risk associated with young garters and heavy fish diets. Someone on another thread just said the young babies should have a MOSTLY fish diet. Also note this chemical is often NOT listed on the package.

I just went through my freezer and found the old silversides "Made in China"....it wasn't Sally's it was OceanNutrition. I wouldn't assume for one moment they aren't coming from the same Chinese vendor/processor despite the tradename.
    Last edited by Sonya610; 07-18-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Sally's silversides do not cause seizures if that's what you're saying. Other brands might, you have to pay attention to the ingredients.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    Sally's silversides do not cause seizures if that's what you're saying. Other brands might, you have to pay attention to the ingredients.
    The chemical is often not listed in the ingredients. If it comes from China the ingredients label doesn't even matter. Do you think there would be a national recall of pet food silversides if a reptile was found to have died as a result? You know...after the autopsy and investigation....it would make the national news and the feds would get involved and new legislation enforced regarding of labeling reptile/fish food (even though they don't require it for human consumption) and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    The chemical is often not listed in the ingredients. If it comes from China the ingredients label doesn't even matter. Do you think there would be a national recall of pet food silversides if a reptile was found to have died as a result? You know...after the autopsy and investigation....it would make the national news and the feds would get involved and new legislation enforced regarding of labeling reptile/fish food (even though they don't require it for human consumption) and such?
    I respect and understand your concern, but I do feel doubtful about the silversides because so many people feed them on here without any problems. However I think I'm just going to avoid fish for right now... It's not worth the hassle and worrying about contamination. I checked the package and the tilapia I have only says "fish (tilapia)" in the ingredients, but I would rather not risk it at this point. I will stick to a rodent diet and supplement it with worms...

I don't believe they do come from china. Just look at the container they come it, it'll tell you if they do,. I've never bought them. but NO ONE has had an issue with sally's. Everyone who uses them recommends them, so I think that says something, now doesn't it?
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    I don't believe they do come from china. Just look at the container they come it, it'll tell you if they do,. I've never bought them. but NO ONE has had an issue with sally's. Everyone who uses them recommends them, so I think that says something, now doesn't it?
    I think so too, at least with this brand. Maybe other brands of silversides do and will cause seizures, but this brand obviously doesn't or else there would be more posts on this site talking about Sally's silversides killing their snakes. Either way this whole fish poisoning thing is a little bit ridiculous. I trust this brand is safe but I'm not going to get myself mixed up in feeding fish at the moment. It's far too stressful for me