Page 888 of 1410 FirstFirst ... 3887888388788868878888898908989389881388 ... LastLast
Results 8,871 to 8,880 of 14098
    I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Re: Its oh so quiet Shh Shh

I've been in areas like that. When we're up in VA it happens...

Just woods right? Not civilization?

Banned

So far the fires burning in the northwest aren't threatening any significant areas of settlement, but yes, there's people living out there and there have been evacuations and highway closures. Nothing like San Diego though. The fires may start in somewhat rural areas but fire season there always comes during the "Santa Anna winds". A weather phenomenon in which the wind changes from gentle onshore flow, to offshore hot air from the desert, low humidity and high winds. So what happens is, the fires burn spreading toward the coast. Well, the city of San Diego stands between the fires and the ocean so even if the fires start naturally far east of town, it heads straight for the city. The photo was taken from the very same spot where I watched Halley's comet pass by earth in 1986. Once in a generation event. It isn't due again until July 2061 but they don't think it's coming back ever again. It broke up leaving the solar system.

It was so bad in 2007, a quarter of a million people were evacuated from parts of San Diego (city and county)

Nice...

Worse than I thought. How close are you?

Banned

Very far away. I'm in WA state silly. but no, I lived just a few miles west of that cluster of fires you see right on the border. I lived about 2 miles from the Tijuana border crossing. The fires in 2007 didn't get my old neighborhood again, (it was close though) but like I said, where I lived burned down right after a I moved away in 1987 and was entirely redesigned and rebuilt after that. The streets aren't even the same anymore.

Oh... oops, I misread a few posts back. Thought this was I'm WA too. DUH.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    The photo was taken from the very same spot where I watched Halley's comet pass by earth in 1986. Once in a generation event. It isn't due again until July 2061 but they don't think it's coming back ever again. It broke up leaving the solar system.
    Yeah, that's cool that you saw it!

Banned

Yeah, also saw Mt. St. Helens erupt multiple times from 1979 (the same year we had a total eclipse of the sun at noon, which I also saw) all the way to the 2004 eruption, including the "big one" on May 18, 1980. Saw them all from just 54 miles away. The mountain was nice enough to stay quiet while I was in San Diego and wait for me to get back.

I guess when I really think about it, I've seen quite a bit of natural phenomenon, from a safe distance, in my lifetime. Things that will never happen again for many, many generations.

Wow, you've seen it all, ya luck dog.

Of course you just said that... edit again.

It's definitely more cool since it won't happen again!

Well maybe I'll actually see it! cool.. Ill mark my calender...

ARGH!! Stop it stop it!!! Edit. Move this, delete that... I need to just not post until I'm SURE you're done...

That was a workout...

Banned

Hey wait, the next total eclipse that can be seen in totality in my area isn't far away. 2017. maybe I'll get to see it twice in a lifetime!

Haha, now I'm really screwing with your head using the edits.

Yes you are. I hit the edit button as much as you.

Banned

I noticed. Now that you're playing too, it was actually kind of fun. Hehehe.