Page 828 of 1410 FirstFirst ... 3287287788188268278288298308388789281328 ... LastLast
Results 8,271 to 8,280 of 14098
    Banned

Re: Its oh so quiet Shh Shh

Yeah, yeah, I know. The whole country is scorching except for the Pacific Northwest, west of the Cascades.

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    It's in the 80s right now. I feel bad for my little chorus frogs. I keep my fan on with a cloth that's been dampened and sat in the freezer for an hour. Cools the place down fast
    Yeah, they don't do so well above 75 or so and are most comfortable in the 60's. Maybe that's why they're digging. Looking for a cool place underground or a place away from the air movement. That's the evaporation rate thing I was talking about. That's whats making your fan cool things down - increases evaporation rate. For amphibians, that's a problem. They can't cool down in that fashion because high evaporation is undesirable for obvious reasons - they need to stay moist. If they head underground into a burrow that takes care of the heat, and they won't dry out.

All the little froggies outside would head into a rodent burrow a foot or two underground, or deep inside/under a moist log where it's much cooler.

Remember how I said my setup for them was? If it got too warm I would just put a couple of ice cubes in the water at the bottom to keep the water cool. They definitely took advantage of it when the room was too warm.

They're pretty tough though. I've found them up in trees/bushes when it was just brutal outside. 90's, very dry, and no water to be found anywhere. Try putting a wet rag into the freezer until it's nearly stiff. Then put it in their enclosure loosely so it's easy for them to get into the folds. Might help them out a bit. They might get under or near it to cool off.

I keep a damp cloth in front of my fan. It raises the humidity. Yesterday my room was probably at 70% humidity. I fell asleep on my desk, and because of that, I didn't get to turn my fan off when I needed to. The wet cloth over the fan cooled my room down fast.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I tried that. Your "BS alarm went off". I was honest with you.
    Try harder.

It boils down to one statement which set Scott off and then everyone else and I told you why I made that statement but you didn't accept my reason. Was it really all that bad? Did it really warrant all of this drama?
    It was an insult, not "just one statement".

This isn't drama. This is business.

I can't say anything that's even slightly provocative even if I'm not trying to provoke drama and hostility.
    I believe you can't say anything that isn't provocative.

I'm the guy that everyone likes to say "oh no, he didn't just say that. Let's get upset about it" to. Like said, nobody seems to like a person who makes them see things in themselves, that they do not like.
    You know what you need? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it.

Banned

I don't feel unappreciated. There are those that get it, understand why do what I do, and they do appreciate it. And then there are the rest of you. Those of you that don't get it, grab your pitchforks and form a posse. Those that do get it, tell me so in private. Can't blame them for that since there is an angry mob on the loose.

There is no "try harder". You get it or you don't. Trying harder won't make any difference if it falls on deaf ears and a closed mind. All you see is an insult. There's much more to it than that. Sometimes you have to gauge a person's reaction to see what level they are on intellectually. The response I got made it all too clear and gave me the answer I seek. You get that, or you don't. There is no in-between.

All you see is an insult.
    And you refuse to see it.

Sometimes you have to gauge a person's reaction to see what level they are on intellectually. The response I got made it all too clear and gave me the answer I seek.
    Have you ever considered, that if you behave like an idiot, you're going to be treated like one? That's not a reflection of the other person's intellect, but of your own.

You get that, or you don't. There is no in-between.
    There's plenty of in-between and it's your responsibility to get the other person to get you, or you're going to have to admit that you failed. If you try to communicate and you can't make yourself understood, that IS your failure. The other person is not a mind reader and you know that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    And you refuse to see it.
    I see that someone chose to be insulted by what I said. You've said quite a few things to me that could be taken as an insult, and yet I am not insulted. I find that if a person is insulted by what I said, it is usually because it is true, the person knows it's true, and doesn't like that aspect of himself.

Have you ever considered, that if you behave like an idiot, you're going to be treated like one?
    Yes, I have. I will be treated like an idiot by an idiot. Non-idiots will respond differently to idiotic behavior, if that is what they perceive it to be. Again, this comes down to what I was saying about gauging a persons reaction to see where they are intellectually.

That's not a reflection of the other person's intellect, but of your own.
    Oh, but it is a reflection of their intellect. It is not what happens to me (or what is said to me) that determines my mental health or intellect. It is how I choose to react that is the determining factor. That goes for any human being.

Let's get some perspective:

Say you're in a car crash. Everyone's OK, but one of the people involved flies off the handle and becomes violent or distraught while others remain calm and do what needs to be done. Which of those two types of people would you say is the more intelligent of the two? Which one is rational and which one isn't?

I see that someone chose to be insulted by what I said.
    You either set out to insult them, you didn't care if you insulted them or you failed trying to avoid insulting them. So which is it? Malice, indifference or incompetence?

I find that if a person is insulted by what I said, it is usually because it is true, the person knows it's true, and doesn't like that aspect of himself.
    Yeah, because people never get insulted when people say things that are untrue.

Yes, I have. I will be treated like an idiot by an idiot.
    By someone who may or may not be one, for either being or acting like one. Either way, you deserve it.

Non-idiots will respond differently to idiotic behavior, if that is what they perceive it to be.
    No, idiots and non-idiots will respond to idiotic behavior however they happen to see fit.

Oh, but it is a reflection of their intellect.
    No, it really isn't.

Another thing you're not getting, is that you don't get to claim the high ground after being treated like an idiot for acting like one.

Say you're in a car crash. Everyone's OK, but one of the people involved flies off the handle and becomes violent or distraught while others remain calm and do what needs to be done. Which of those two types of people would you say is the more intelligent of the two? Which one is rational and which one isn't?
    That's actually impossible to tell. Those are extraordinary circumstances, there's an emotional impact, shock, possibly pain, presumably a sudden release of hormones, triggered stress responses and a thousand other factors that are far more important when analyzing the behavior, than intelligence. In fact, the one thing that doesn't matter all that much in that situation, is intelligence.

And intelligence doesn't equal rationality.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

You know, fellas, I really don't think this is the best place to continue this discussion. We've gone on and on for pages with this conflict, and at this point, if there's anyone left who still cares, they really haven't been saying much about it.

Might I respectfully request that a mod or admin split off this discussion from the main thread so it might be continued elsewhere?
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Didymus20X6 View Post
    You know, fellas, I really don't think this is the best place to continue this discussion. We've gone on and on for pages with this conflict, and at this point, if there's anyone left who still cares, they really haven't been saying much about it.

Might I respectfully request that a mod or admin split off this discussion from the main thread so it might be continued elsewhere?
    Fair enough. Richard can have the last word on this topic and then we're done here.

Banned

OK, I will. My response is that there is very little left to say. I said my peace and explained myself as best as I could, hoping you could get to know me better and understand me even if you think I'm an A-hole. I also understand Stefan's point of view even if I don't agree with every little aspect of it. I know I seem a bit strange or brash to a lot of you and I understand why.